Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog

Options
Who all uses Blues Hog bbq sauce? Do you use it strait out the bottle or do you mix something else with it? I like the taste but seems like its a little overwhelming some to me? Whats the best thing to use it on?
Thanks

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Most people cut blues hog original 50/50 with blues hog Tennessee. You could probably cut it 75/25 with raw apple cider vinegar and get a similar result. Start with less if you try it. Easy to add more.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited May 2014
    Options
    imageI've been a fan of Blue's since I first went to Bill Arnold's shop in tiny Perry, Mo...pop 900 people cats and dogs. He and his family made it right there before later farming out that mass production to commercial sauce producers. I too find it too sweet in a straight taste test though it really calms down after brushed on your meat. Just the same I too cut it 50/50 with his Tenn Red and that's works perfect for me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I love it on baby back ribs.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • RRP
    Options
    Here is an option to those of you who live in MO. The fellow who was a co-owner of the team that made Blue's Hog sauce what it is today was a fellow in Centralia, MO near the center of the state. After they broke up for whatever reason he and his wife founded Sticky Pig. Personally the SP sauce is the same as Blue's but the one that SP really excels with that they did on their own is their Jalepeno - it's got a great taste - not too hot and isn't that sickening sweet IMO. Besides that the price is even more reasonable in chain stores there in MO. I buy it from them on the net. Hopefully I can attach the link.

http://www.stickypigbbq.com 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    We love it, and sell a ton at our shop. It is sweet, but an amazing compliment to so many meats. We cut with vinegar for thinning and twang. But you could cut it with anything that compliments it. Hot sauce if you want the heat/sweet thing. There is a great book by Chris Hart called "Wicked Good BBQ" and they make a Blues Hog foam with a hint of the sauce. Many awards are won with Bill's sauce on all of the meat categories…so, very versatile! We did Vietnamese spring rolls at the Canadian BBQ open in Barrie Ontario years ago with BBQ pork, and drizzled blues hog on them. We won. It just makes your taste buds happy, and seems to compliment everything.

I've known Bill for many years, and he created a trail-blazing sauce like no other, and has become one of the most imitated sauce artists.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I end up buying 2-3 gallons a year
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SWMBO loves the BH original, I love the Smokey Mountain. The Honey Mustard one is not bad. HEB had them on clearance a while ago for $1.50/jar. I cleaned out 2 stores, so I have some in stock... for now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do 50/50 with one of these (not the rub). imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    caliking said:
    SWMBO loves the BH original, I love the Smokey Mountain. The Honey Mustard one is not bad. HEB had them on clearance a while ago for $1.50/jar. I cleaned out 2 stores, so I have some in stock... for now.
    The Blues Hog Smokey Mountain is my favorite sauce as well. Good stuff.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Mickey - have you tried the Bone Suckin' Hot? Its pretty good too, if you like a little heat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @yemtrey     I see your in cincy?  I got a few bottles of the original at Jungle Jims last year and I was not impressed - wayyyyyy too sweet for me.  Do you know if Jungle Jim's has the smokey mountain version?  

I now read that many "cut" Blues Hog with other sauces, so maybe I will give it another try.   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:

@Mickey - have you tried the Bone Suckin' Hot? Its pretty good too, if you like a little heat.

No, but will now.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    NDG said:
    @yemtrey     I see your in cincy?  I got a few bottles of the original at Jungle Jims last year and I was not impressed - wayyyyyy too sweet for me.  Do you know if Jungle Jim's has the smokey mountain version?  

I now read that many "cut" Blues Hog with other sauces, so maybe I will give it another try.   
    @NDG, Jungle Jim's does have the Smokey Mountain sauce.  I live 10 minutes from there and that's where I pick it up from.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Love it, but since they switched to using high-fructose corn syrup I can't use it anymore. I used to use it straight up on ribs, or cut with a little vinegar on butts and chicken.

I really like Sticky Pig and last I checked they weren't using HFCS.

If you want to try at making it yourself, check out Amazing Rib's Jazzy Pig and/or my Sticky Hog:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/jazzy_hog_competition_barbecue_glaze.html
    http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2011/01/06/sticky-hog-bbq-sauce/

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • RRP
    Options
    Davekatz said:

I really like Sticky Pig and last I checked they weren't using HFCS.

Me too!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Love the Tennessee Red!!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    Options
    Love the Tennessee Red!!
    me too - serve it warmed on the side as a finishing sauce with a pork loin roast! - then learn to smile and accept accolades from your guests for the mighty fine sauce you created! ;)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    RRP said:
    Love the Tennessee Red!!
    me too - serve it warmed on the side as a finishing sauce with a pork loin roast! - then learn to smile and accept accolades from your guests for the mighty fine sauce you created! ;)
    Yeah, I drizzle this stuff on a lot of different sandwiches, especially love it with pork.  Really wakes up your favorite foods!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Blues Hog Tennessee Red. I buy it by the gallon.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    TN Red fan here too.  I'll mix it with Sweet Baby Ray's for those who like it a little sweeter.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014