Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NewB Here With A Question

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So back in January I purchased a LBGE and a XLBGE. I have been trying to join the forum since then, and was finally granted access last night. Seems like a great place to hang out. Anyhow, I came across this recipe today, and was wondering if anyone has tried them. http://www.grilling24x7.com/oring.shtml I plan to give them a go this weekend. Thanks all, Mike
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the lifestyle Mike! 

I haven't tried that recipe, but it looks like it would be very tasty. 

A large and an XL! Now that is the way to jump in the deep water. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Welcome!!!  I'm impressed you got yourself a large and an XL to start. Sweet!

I have never tried that recipe nor have I seen it here.  They look like a fair amount of work, but it's probably worth it.  Smoked, bacon wrapped onion rings.  Holy cannoli!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    Options
    Thanks John, I picked up the large with nest brand new from a local dealer for $650, and picked up a 1 y/o XL from craigslist w/ platesetter, nest, CI grate, pizza stone, and several other accessories for $900. Seemed like a steal.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HoosierEgg71
    Options
    So I can eat those and tell the cardiologist that im eating my veggies?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Looking at the recipe again, if I were to try this - I think I'd use some good BBQ sauce to coat the onions instead of the hot sauce.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Those look fantastic. Make sure to let us know how they turn out.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Those look amazing!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome don't forget the pics
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome mike!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Thanks John, I picked up the large with nest brand new from a local dealer for $650, and picked up a 1 y/o XL from craigslist w/ platesetter, nest, CI grate, pizza stone, and several other accessories for $900. Seemed like a steal.

The recipe looks like something I will have to try. Now I'm impressed on your purchase. You bought 2 for the price of my XL, nest, side tables and some other tools. Was the large a demo model. That's almost $300 under retail. Great job. Welcome aboard.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Great, now I need to go buy sweet onions...

Welcome to the madness!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CTMike
    edited April 2014
    Options
    John, The large was brand new, had to be ordered. Several dealers around me all quoted me MSRP for the L, $849, and an additional $160 for the nest. So I was in a hearth and patio store picking up a part for my woodstove, and saw that he sold Eggs also. I asked how much for the Large with nest, and he came back with $650 after referring to his price book. Thanked him and put the stove part in the car, and went back in to confirm, he double checked and I ordered it on the spot. The entire week waiting for it to come in, and when I went to pick it up, I expected him to tell me he quoted me for a medium. Walked out the door around $780 by the time I added the platesetter and the governors cut. There is a dealer here in CT that sells larges with nest and platesetter for $899, which is still a pretty good deal.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You got a great deal Mike!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great deals on your BGE's.  And no I haven't tried that cook but it's on the "to do" list.

BTW-don't know why it took "forever" for you to get access to post on the forum.  That's not good business.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yes welcome. We are always looking for healthy recipes here. That is a great way to eliminate the batter and deep frying on the rings.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CTMike
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome folks. I will be doing these this weekend along with a brisket and some ABT's. I will let everyone know how they came out.

@lousubcap, I take it you are currently active duty, which boat? Retired bubblehead myself.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Welcome to the journey, and Thank You for your service!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @CTMike-same category as you. Submarine in avatar is USS Louisville (SSN-724), one of several I served on. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    That is funny I just saw that recipe today on face book. I have not tryed it but let us know how it turns out.