Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rookie question--why brine?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
as long as you marinade chicken before firing up the BGE, what exactly is the purpose of "Brining"? If critical, what brine recipes do you recommend? thanks, Mark

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Mark Lewis,[p]
    Welcome to the BGE family! Brining is optional, but it does some nice things. First, it flavors the chicken throughout (unlike a marinade, which doesn't penetrate very far): seasonings dissolved in the brine are actually carried inside the meat cell walls. [p]Second, brining makes the meat juicier and provides a buffer against overcooking. A brined bird cooks slightly faster than an unbrined one, but even if left on the fire too long the meat tends to stay moist. [p]My favorite brine is a very simple one: one cup kosher (i.e., non-iodized...this is important) salt and one cup sugar per gallon of water. Dissolve salt & sugar in a little warm water and add the rest cold. Brine should be cold when the bird is added. Refrigerate the bird in its bath for 3-8 hours; rinse well; dry & season as desired. If you use a dry rub, choose one with little or no salt. [p]Try it & see if you like it.[p]Cathy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cat,[p]My wife always brings home these Butter Ball turkey and chickens. She says that they are injected with juices so the brining is not advised for them. Any truth to that? Have you brined those birds before?[p]Tim
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Cat,[p]In regards to brining, I mostly bbq just breasts and thighs, rarely a whole bird. This being the case, how long should I brine for? I never have, but would like to try it this evening.[p]Dec

• Tim M,[p]They're injected primarily with water & oil, I believe. They always taste a little 'off' to me. Maybe brining would help? I've never tried it. If you do, post the results![p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Dec,[p]I brine chicken parts for 90 minutes.[p]Cathy

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    celoup@ix.netcom.com,
    Cat I have been told that Butter Ball turkeys are injected with liquid butter,if you look under the skin is kind of yellow,but i'm not a 100% sure.
    YB

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I had a turkey breast that a client gave me last year and brined it. To start with the label said it was injected with up to 8% solution of the total weight. It was ok, but that was about it. It was very saltly to us and that was surprising because it brined only for about 3 hours and was rinsed very well.[p]I stick with the fresh turkeys in the future.[p]Ashley

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Mark Lewis,[p]The quality of chicken now-a-days is deteriorated. Brining for the reasons Cat gives can add flavor to these kinds of birds.[p]However, if you have access to superior quality chicken (we have here) I have found brining too much effort for the little difference in result. Beer-butt chicken (unbrined) is as good a chicken as I have ever eatten in all my days, and I have eatten a lot of chicken.[p]But I suppose it all comes down to taste. People have and like different tastes, and so they try recipes and methods that fit their pallet.[p]Anthony