Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Cook Times as Usual

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Again, I suffer from highly deviant cooking times relative to the recommended temp/times. [p]I am attempting the Mad Max style turkey today. My setup follows the recommendation using inverted plate-setter, etc. I have an 11lber on a medium egg. I put the bird on at 7am at approx 325-350 dome temp, and the skin is just now starting to brown. I have since tented with foil.[p]Any ideas why it ALWAYS takes my cooks longer than the general recommnedations? Is it due to the fact I have a medium(less airflow around meat)?

Comments

• what_gives,[p]Could it be a high reading on your thermometer, have you tried another thermometer or calibrated the one you have. try another reading at the grate and multiple readings.[p]HHL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    what_gives,
    There are so many factors. Even with an oven things don't always time out as recommended. When you are talkin about a charcoal cooker there are even more variables. Sounds like airflow might be your case. For reduced frustration, open up a cold one, and notch up your temp a bit. Maybe pull off the tent so you can start getting some good color on the skin. Any way to raise the bird up a bit? Tell the side dish people to hold off a bit, and enjoy the day![p]Nature "shouting from the sidelines" Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SMB,
    I have calibrated the thermometer. Not sure what's up.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    what_gives,[p]Recommended cook times are just that, something to start with. It's really the internal temperature that tells you when a bird is done, and getting a feel for how long it takes is something that just comes with time and practice. By my calculations, an 11 lb'er at about 15-20 minutes per pound, should only take about 2.5 to 3 hrs, so sounds like you're right on schedule...[p]While each egg cooks differently, it shouldn't make much of a difference whether you're using a large or a medium. [p]Don't sweat it and just enjoy the bounty![p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Oops, misread your post. Thought you said quicker, not longer. Regardless, no two birds will cook alike, and so many things could come into play...[p]What's the internal temp of the bird now? Are you basting? If so, how often? Are you opening up the egg a lot? Basting can affect the color, but opening the egg can slow the cooking times considerably, depending on how often you're doing it.[p]Just keep an eye on the internal and pull when it says you should. If you have to sacrifice a little color, so be it. I'd rather have a nice moist bird that is a little pale than a beautiful dry one...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    what_gives,[p]My bird is going a little faster then expected, no worries, I'll drop the temp down about 25 degrees. Already at 100 and hadn't planned on it being done until around 1:00, about an hour a head of schedule right now. Might have to take Nature Boys advice and crack open a cold one and just relax a bit.
  • QBabe,
    Well, I may have spoke a bit too soon on this cook. The internal temp of thigh is around 165, so about right on. The breast is around 150, again right on. The problem is the color... there is none. This thing has a tan like me! :-) i will take your advice and remove when done, not when pretty.[p]Typically though, it is the case that it takes me much longer than recommended temps.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    what_gives,
    You might try bumping the temp up to 450 or 500 for a few minutes just before you take the bird off if color isn't there. Alton Brown's turkey method is to put the bird in at 500 for some period of time and then drop the temp, so it isn't unheard of.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    what_gives,
    Glad things are rolling along. If you are typically finding longer than recommended times with your particular setup, then in the future you might try cooking everything 20 degrees hotter than you are now. Some more heat would give you the color you are lookin for too. Or just getting the bird up higher for more airflow. [p]Easier when I am just sittin behind a keyboard! LOL
    Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    Hope you aint be overthinkin! Doesn't hurt to get that thang cookin! You could always get some color on it, then back it down. [p]What kind of cold one you into? PBR? Sierra Nevada? guinness?
    Enjoy your cookin.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Naked Whiz,
    That's a good idea. The other big problem is that I still have a lot of wine in the pan with no drippings. Looks like the gravy portion of the Mad Max bird isn't going to happen. :-([p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    what_gives,
    Sounds like you need more heat in a big way. Open her up a bit!
    From the sidelines!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    Yeah, but the temps indicate it's almost done, 180 in thigh and 151 in breast. You think I should bump it up anyway? For color and such?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    what_gives,
    I would so long as you don't overcook the breast. Color is good, and if your thighs hit 190, no biggy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    Try some butter.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Pat Mac,
    Butter almost never hurts,