Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellets?

Options
Has anybody used pellet such as Traeger in place of chips or chunks?

Comments

• dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    I have as well, tasted pretty much the same as chunks
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    I use applewood pellets for cold smoking in a-mazen smoker.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    My camp has a pellet stove, and I use them all the time for generic hardwood smoke.

But I don't heat the place with cherry or apple, so if I want anything special, I use chunks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• tickbyte
    tickbyte Posts: 24
    Options
    + one with the a-mazen smoker I made some andouille sausage and cold smoked it with Hickory pellets. Never thought to dump them on hot coals. I save them for cold smoking.
    Large Egg.   Pflugerville, Texas  I Also brew my own beer
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    traeger pellets, dont know how much of this is true but supposedly came right from traeger

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet wtf1.gif

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I bought a bag of both maple and Apple for when I cold smoke bacon. They were half off so no brainer. I use them all the time for regular smoking. Throw in a couple handfuls and you're good to go.
    Dunedin, FL