Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Destination Ribs

I have develop what I call destination Ribs. Ribs on the go as ya will. Basically a 3-2-1 method with a variation. Days before the event, ribs are given the the 3 hours of smoke, low and slow. They are then chilled and stored til the day of the event. I then travel to My destination, where I then finish the last two steps on which ever type of grill is available. As we all know the great Egg flavor is imparted in the ribs in the first 3 hrs. This also works when doing a lot of ribs. For large groups, as I did last week for SWMBOs office. 12 full racks

Comments

• I cook fully, and then reheat direct for about 15-20 minutes
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @SenecaTheYounger‌ when you say cook fully does that include the saucing at the end? Also, what method do you use for cook? X/x/x method or other?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I cook at 250 typically, no foiling. Reheat and add sauce (if any) when reheating. I do dry rubs typically and the sauce is for dipping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Cool pic
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

When you chill them make sure you do it in a way that drops the temp below 41'F within a couple hours.  What I mean is don't stack them all together and prevent the cold from reaching the inside for too long.

Especially if you will be serving these to people after the next steps.  This will prevent partially cooked food from remaining in the danger zone too long.

No worries about the reheat since I'm sure they will be well over 170 when they are finished.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    41 ?

Seems pretty specific.

It would be four hours, anyway (total of four hours, more specifically from initial handling to final consumption). Not going to be an issue unless there are a LOT of ribs, and they were handled or served before going into the fridge.

Seneca Falls, NY

• eggrock
    eggrock Posts: 23
    Thanks for the input. Well aware of the food safety issues. When chilling I separate the ribs with cooling racks to make certain they cool properly.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @SenecatheYounger - Not trying to be specific but maybe I messed up the conversion.  I'm from the GWN where water is ice at 0 and steam at 100. Just seems to make more sense than 32/212. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I am basically doing the same thing end of May with 8 racks, I am a foiler so I smoke 3 hours, foil 1 hour (they are fully cooked at this point) refrigerate and then they go on a gasser @ 250º for 45 minutes to an hour sauced for the last 20 minutes.  This has worked well in the past so hope it will again.

Gerhard