Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Type of Wood for a Weather Exposed Table for a Large BGE

Options

I am planning to build a table for my large BGE.  My Egg currently sits in its nest and waits for me to feed it lump charcoal.  Once the table is built, I will probably buy one of the large covers, but it will still be somewhat exposed to the elements - it won't be under a covered patio.  I was curious what the forum thinks is the best type of wood for the table considering looks, wood durability, etc.  I was thinking about cedar or oak.  Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Victor Chelf
Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

Comments

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Cypress
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Stainless steel.
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Keep the nest and put a table beside it. My table caught fire and it will soon be the wife's potting bench.
    Kemah, TX
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Cypress is great, but can be pricey.  Cedar is a great alternative that is more cost-efficient.  Weathers very well, but you should still put a clear sealant or stain/sealant on it if it sits outside. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• stripedegg
    Options
    cedar......stain it if you want.  Do Not put polyurethane on it as a sealant.  Make sure you use Spar/Varnish.  Spar/Varnish is the most UV resistant.  Either way, you're table will need a little maintenance every spring.  Check out some of my posts from my past tables or look at my twitter which is @grillworx9 Hampton Grill Worx.
    The Nest Whisperer
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Keep the nest and put a table beside it. My table caught fire and it will soon be the wife's potting bench.
    This,

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or stone. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    White oak is amazing but expensive. Have you considered building the frame out of pressure treated and using PVC Azek material for the finishes? This stuff is amazing. I build decks on the side and the Azek is indestructible.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Prolonged contact with water will leave deep dark black stains on oak.

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options
    A short walk to our nearby yacht basin and you will see the wood of choice for wet environments. Teak is used for indoor and outdoor, both finished and unfinished. Expensive, but if you can afford a yacht you do not have to worry about the $$. Looks beautiful with several coats of spar varnish applied and renewed every few years. Or...is handsome unfinished with a coat of teak oil applied annually.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Teak, Cypress, but, if environment is that challenging I would say a nest and separate table or SS egg table. Wood with a nuclear egg just doesn't appeal to me. Folks can say they don't catch fire often but, it only takes once unfortunately. Fact is concrete or SS is gonna be there for the long haul. Just my 2¢
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Red oak will stain. White oak will turn gray when unfinished.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Totally OT but, @vchelf‌ my SWMBO would love your avatar (Gator) as she is a UF alumni graduate. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Drunkonmeat
    Options
    I am still designing my table and have all but settled on Cumaru deck wood. Class one fire rated. Kinda cashie at $22.  for a 1X6-8'.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    teak, cypress, or mahogany. for the money mahogany is a descent choice, i have it on my 25 year old lobster boat and its stood up for 25 years with no sealer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Mine is teak which is beautiful but after 2 years of using it, I think stainless steel would have been a better choice.  Also, it would look better if I oiled it regularly but I don't.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    Hey Hapster.....did u make that side table or buy it somewhere?
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ipe- doesn't burn and nice looking but hard to work with.
    Greensboro, NC
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    Teak, Cypress, but, if environment is that challenging I would say a nest and separate table or SS egg table. Wood with a nuclear egg just doesn't appeal to me. Folks can say they don't catch fire often but, it only takes once unfortunately. Fact is concrete or SS is gonna be there for the long haul. Just my 2¢
    My environment isn't that challenging.  I live in Houston, so it is humid and hot in the summer.  We also tend to get a fair amount of rain.  I just want the table to withstand the elements and also look good.  I didn't want to go the pressure treated pine 2x4 route.  Nothing wrong with that - I just wanted something a bit nicer for my prized toy!
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Mine is a combination of PT pine (frame) and Cedar. 2 coats of deck stain. I keep it covered. 1 year and a hard winter in it is still great, it will last many years.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Teak.   If it is good enough for the Battleship North Carolina's decks, it's good enough for eggin'.  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • chashans
    Options
    You see a lot of kiln dried Douglas fir used as finish wood in Japan. It is very attractive with several coats of varnish applied. Here it is almost never considered as a finish wood even though it is practical, inexpensive and available. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    chashans said:
    You see a lot of kiln dried Douglas fir used as finish wood in Japan. It is very attractive with several coats of varnish applied. Here it is almost never considered as a finish wood even though it is practical, inexpensive and available. 
    my house is made from douglas fir, 1940's douglas fir log siding and still the origional fir  flooring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chashans
    Options
    I bet that your floor is beautiful! I can visualize it's color. Here in California it is used as a framing wood on new construction and almost never used as a finish wood.

chashans said:
    my house is made from douglas fir, 1940's douglas fir log siding and still the origional fir  flooring

• Gator_Fan
    Gator_Fan Posts: 43
    Options
    Totally OT but, @vchelf‌ my SWMBO would love your avatar (Gator) as she is a UF alumni graduate. image

Use anything BUT...... Corn Husks !!

LOL

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• CDM
    CDM Posts: 1
    Options
    Red oak also looks great and is very durable, if protected with 4-5 coats of Spar.  Photo attached.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

vchelf said:
    My environment isn't that challenging.  I live in Houston, so it is humid and hot in the summer.  We also tend to get a fair amount of rain.  I just want the table to withstand the elements and also look good.  I didn't want to go the pressure treated pine 2x4 route.  Nothing wrong with that - I just wanted something a bit nicer for my prized toy!
    Listen, you'll get this answer from any woodworking forum.  If you design and finish the table properly to keep the wood protected and dry, you can use ANY wood you want.  It's just not that important.  If you want to build a table with no regard to preserving the wood through design or finish, then some species will last much longer than others.