Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do a brisket saturday and would like some info on time and temp, any other advice would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SuperDave,
    The method I have settled on is ndirect over a drip pan. 250 dome temp, starting at 180-200 with some mesquite. (many woods are good with brisket including oak, hickory, and fruit woods. Step up your temps slowly til you reach 250, and hold there for the rest of the cook. Every brisket is different, but my experience has always been at least 2 hours a pound...sometimes close to 3. Give it plenty of time, and try a fork test when your internal temp hits 185. If it slides in easily and twists...pull it off. Sometimes they are done closer to 200 internal....again it depends on the chunk-o-chest that you have.[p]If it is done early, pull at 185, wrap tightly in foil, and store in a warm cooler with towels. Unopened, it will hold for several hours and still be steaming hot.[p]A mustard slather and a healthy dose of rub is perfect. They take well to marinades also.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    SuperDave,
    There are others more expert on briskets than me on this forum. However, do the brisket at about 220F dome using indirect heat. This will take about 2 to 2.5 hours per pound. Put some rub on it before the cook and let it sit in the fridge overnight. During the cook, you can turn it over and mop it every 2 hours at your discretion. Some do and some don't.
    JimW

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]Just did a brisket myself last weekend and it was great. It was an 11.5 pounder and it took about 30 hours to cook. Internal temp was about 185 when I finally took it off the grill. I held a dome temp of 150-160 for the first 8 hours of the cook, was shooting for about 200 but overnight the temp didn't climb like I thought it would, oh well. I rubbed mine down well with jerk seasoning and threw it on the grill, indirect over a drip pan full of beer (dont know why) and let 'er go. One thing to remember is to cook it with the fat cap up, that way the juice marinates the meat as it cooks. You can flip and baste if you want, never really tried it, I baste the upside and let it cook though the meat. Baste sparingly as you'll lose heat in the egg every time you open it up. I basted the last one every 2 hours for the last 10-12 hours of the cook. Expect the cook to take 2-3 hours a pound, minimum 2 hours a pound at 200-225, more if you are cooking at lower temps. Indirect is preferred my me for these extended cooks, keeps the direct heat off the meat and keeps it more moist. Good luck, enjoy, and let us know how it turns out.[p]Troy