Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

CHARCOAL ?

I have heard that Ozark Oak, is one of the top lumps out there... Are their others recommended? Also, where can Ozark and these other recomendations be purchased. I'm from Wisconsin. Thanks all

Comments

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,055
    I like Humphrey. Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and Rockwood are also popular here.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • KruegsKruegs Posts: 128
    edited April 2014
    Grove charcoal has been good to me and is made in Cedar Grove, WI. Piggly Wiggly carries it in Green Bay and you can get a 20# bag for $13.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • DuranglerDurangler Posts: 985
    I like Humphrey. Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and Rockwood are also popular here.
    There are the key words.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 14,479
    WGWW, OO, Rockwood, Fogo. I use WGWW. Been able to get 20# bags of WGWW for $20-$21 per bag and even less if I buy 10 or more at a time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,023
    Firecraft has free shipping on orders of $100 or more.  I just tried a bunch of different charcoals and some smokewood that wasn't available locally.  They are a great resource.
    NOLA
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 1,570
    Royal Oak (RO) fits the budget and works just fine. FWIW.
    Large & Mini, Cumming, GA  
    image - 2009 Alumni
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,205
    I think I've settled on Rockwood as my favorite. Of all the lump brands I have tried, it lights up very quickly, the VOC's burn off in barely any time, and it burns clean and hot. I organized a group buy in December, and just bought some more with another guy recently. Should be picking it up tomorrow. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,980
    caliking said:
    I think I've settled on Rockwood as my favorite. Of all the lump brands I have tried, it lights up very quickly, the VOC's burn off in barely any time, and it burns clean and hot. I organized a group buy in December, and just bought some more with another guy recently. Should be picking it up tomorrow. 

I thought you were arranging a group buy on WWWG because you know the owners. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,511
    I agree @caliking. I love Rockwood for the same reasons you listed. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,205
    caliking said:

I thought you were arranging a group buy on WWWG Rockwood because you know like the owners. :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WGWW is best for longer cooks. But I am becoming a fan of Rockwood! Just got a shipment and burned through the first bag. I'm impressed!
  • Awesome, thanks all
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,549
    My one bag of WGWW was the worst bag I've ever used. Super ashy and went out on 2 low and slow cooks(ash build up clogged fire grate). I believe I must have had a bad bag as my experience seems to be an outlier.

Rockwood is boss. Royal Oak is fine too.
  • plumbfir01plumbfir01 Posts: 718
    @RICHIED777 if i recall, you significant other doesnt like the smokey taste right?  i would go with rockwood or ozark oak!
    Beaufort, SC
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
     I always liked WGWW. In fact I found 2 sources here in Mid Michigan.

Maple Hill Nursery in Midland and Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood just called me that they have some in stock again.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• CullumCullum Posts: 215
    Royal Oak works great for me. You can get it now at Home Depot in the bigger bags. 
  • RICHIED777RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Thanks all! Plumbfir01, you are right on with my wife's tastes! Just got a load of Rockwood in, thanks a bunch!
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 14,479
    @Eggcelsior‌ +1 on bad bag of WGWW. I've had real good results outta each bag (big pieces, low creosote, low ash, dense, long lasting). But, I spect a bag bag is possible.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01plumbfir01 Posts: 718
    You sir, have made a Stellar choice! Enjoy
    Beaufort, SC
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,477
    Fogo on the bottom. Rockwood on top.
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

• Miked125Miked125 Posts: 342
    I like royal oak and when I can get it for half off, its even better.