Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Wagyu Ribeye - Check THIS out! PIC INTENSE!

Options
First things first.. all the "raws" can be seen here:

Masamoto Aogami Super (raw carbon steel edge which patina's over time) - love this knife! [Knife skills are improving, and I made my FIRST 'knife cutting' video]

Some Vidalia onions for some home made coleslaw:

Salted and ready to rock! 

Coors Banquet - 

And now we're cooking!! 

READY!?!

Cooked over a scorching hot fire with a little peach wood. 1.5 min rotate, 1 min flip - 1 min rotate - 1 more min pull & finished in a "warm" CI skillet with some porcini butter and cherry smoked salt. 

Separated the cap from the "eye". 

Intensely "wet" (juicy) - 

Thickness - thin - think a 'thick' flat-iron 

Either it was "black & blue" or "medium" - no sous vide (yet) and this was about the best I can do.. 

Ribeye cap - simply outrageous!! WOW! 

Falling apart - speechless. 

And the sides: home made coleslaw with a hint of 'sauce - much like a chopped salad; not very "wet" with coleslaw sauce. 

And some fresh white corn from the local farms about ~15 miles away. (cut off the cob for illustrative purposes)

Verdict: 

Absolutely insane. This piece of meat was so rich, and the dry aging process added so much complexity to the meat. A little sweet, nutty, smoky, cheesy. 

I won't lie. I struggled to eat this small piece of meat. Words simply cannot describe how wonderful this steak was. Hands down the best steak I have ever had - overall. I love the texture of a strip, and I am really impressed with bone-in Filets. But this steak.. was simply a notch above anything I have ever eaten. 

• I may get flack for the overall doneness of this piece of meat, but I do not like a charred crust and a "luke-warm" center (ala black n blue). Two fold. A "texture" thing, for me, and I wanted the marbling throughout the piece of meat to render completely.

• Sharing this meal with a lady friend would have been extra-special, but unfortunately for me, this 27-year old simply cannot find "the one". One day.. One day. ;)

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Outstanding!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Flack?? No Steak Man, I won't be going you flack. Doneness is all preference...and my preference is medium-rare for all fine beef cuts.

Steak for one? You're not doing that fine cut of beef any justice. If I grill steak for more than 3, I'll use the egg or eggs. For one, you're missing out on so much flavor by searing them on the grill. Incredible steaks are all about a nice even mahogany crust. The enhanced flavor is 2nd to none when you sear on a cast iron or stainless steel pan.

Try it next time Steak Man.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I see on one of your other steak cooks that you pan seared in bacon grease. Why did this one not get the same love Steak Man? ;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ok @FLbobecu‌ I'm liking the steaks. Here lately I've been doing a lot of steaks. I've never used porcini butter or cherry smoked salt (nor have I heard of it --guess I need to get out more :)) ). What do these add to the steak? Would LandOLakes sweet cream unsalted do the same justice? That's what I've been using. Oh and love the knife! The video on the knife skills...YouTube?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I see on one of your other steak cooks that you pan seared in bacon grease. Why did this one not get the same love Steak Man? ;)
    I've been cooking in the CI a lot. I started on the Egg, and finished in a warm CI skillet with porcini butter. 

Just thought I'd change it up a little bit. That's all. :)
  • FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ok @FLbobecu‌ I'm liking the steaks. Here lately I've been doing a lot of steaks. I've never used porcini butter or cherry smoked salt (nor have I heard of it --guess I need to get out more :)) ). What do these add to the steak? Would LandOLakes sweet cream unsalted do the same justice? That's what I've been using. Oh and love the knife! The video on the knife skills...YouTube?

The porcini butter is a "concentrate" if you will - of mushroom flavor (porcini mushrooms)+ butter (think compound butter). 

I received it as a sample from work, and have a few more uses out of it before it's all gone. Figured since I have it, why not finish it up? :)

The cherry smoked sea salt adds an additional "smokiness" to the butter, from which the steak was cooked on (abet quick). I was going for a grilled/smoky flavor profile this time, with hints of mushrooms and smoky salt. 

Very well executed, I thought. Just very tricky to finish @ MR for a thinner steak like this. 

Video is not on YouTube - yet. I think I can make that happen. It's my first video I have made on my phone, and would be my first YT video as well. I'll see if I can get it uploaded after work today. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I'm going with Yum! I may have pulled it a little sooner but I would have enjoyed that Steak.

Hey Cazzy, Can you share more info on searing a steak in a CI or Stainless Steal, are you cooking start to finish in the Pan?

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Looks awesome! Don't get to worried about the "one". It'll happen when you least expect it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks incredible! BTW you don't need a sous vide for steak. Just use hot water for an hour per inch of thickness. 100 - 120*. No worries about the danger zone for the short time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    Options

Hey Cazzy, Can you share more info on searing a steak in a CI or Stainless Steal, are you cooking start to finish in the Pan?

It's pretty standard practice in most fancy steak houses.

I usually do it a couple ways.  I will sear the steak, then butter baste to finish the steak or I will finish the steak in the pan in a 400 degree oven.  You can also finish roasting on the egg, or reverse-sear.  Lots of options here.  You can also get a flat top for your egg....like a baking steel or one of the lodge flat tops.  You just need a flat surface that retains heat well so your steak gets an even crust.  

If you sear first, do your best to dry the steak with paper towels as it will eliminate moisture.  That will ensure the steak doesn't steam while the moisture evaporates.  
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Options
    That is awesome!!! Thanks for posting!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    You should post those pics on pinterest. The ladies will be swooning....
    Dunedin, FL
  • FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
    Options
    yzzi said:
    You should post those pics on pinterest. The ladies will be swooning....
    Hmm.. Have no idea what that is. Suppose I should look into it. I don't even use Facebook. I see what it does to the people around me. 6 people sitting at a lunch table and not a single person is conversing out loud. Now, it's all done electronically. Call me old fashion. It is what it is. ;)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks good to me no matter how you did :)
  • cazzy
    Options
    hapster said:
    Don't get it twisted, if that steak was plopped on my plate...it would be the rare moment where I shut the hell up and savor the moment.   :P
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    cazzy said:
    hapster said:
    Don't get it twisted, if that steak was plopped on my plate...it would be the rare moment where I shut the hell up and savor the moment.   :P
    And if I was sitting there; you may well lose a hand reaching for it ;)