Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest stability?

Options
Going from a table to a nest and wondering about the stability of the nest. Would it be necessary or beneficial to bolt it to the deck to prevent an overturn? Not worried about people, just wind e.g.
Kemah, TX

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My LBGE has been in a nest, out in the open patio for 2 years now. Been thru Tropical storm force winds, worst winter in a long time and all other kinds of weather. No issues at all.
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    No worries here. 2 of the 4 casters lock. I don't move it ever.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It would take one help of wind to blow it over. I have an XL and it is very stable.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Knowing how top heavy an egg in a nest is then the key to learn is NEVER push an egg in a nest! Always pull it toward you. That way if the wheels hit even a minor obstruction and starts to tip over it will fall toward you and you can catch it. Otherwise it tips forward and you have a broken egg that is not covered by warranty.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    Also pull by the hinge and not the dome handle. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    How come you're not still using a table?  Built right, that's about as stable as you can get. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It shouldn't be on the deck in the first place. Fire hazard. I moved mine OFF the deck long ago. Not worried about it blowing over.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    The table burned up...

Kemah, TX
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Man.....bummer @jllbms.  Just saw that in another thread you posted in.  Mine's in a table and I feel confident of no burn problems.  But it's sitting on a concrete patio so not too worried about it.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Gator_Man said:
    Also pull by the hinge and not the dome handle. G M
    Actually I find it easier and safer to pull the stand legs instead (think gravity), sorry Jim didn't mean to pull your legs  :D
    canuckland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I ham
    RRP said:
    Knowing how top heavy an egg in a nest is then the key to learn is NEVER push an egg in a nest! Always pull it toward you. That way if the wheels hit even a minor obstruction and starts to tip over it will fall toward you and you can catch it. Otherwise it tips forward and you have a broken egg that is not covered by warranty.

That's why I don't move mine around much. There's no way I am getting between the 200 lb XL when it falls, so it doesn't get moved much.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I hear ya man, but when it is tipping over it isn't that much to catch and put back up right...but if you are pushing then it falls fast!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.