Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side Table Replacement

AD18
AD18 Posts: 209
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Bought my Egg with the standard cedar strip side tables.  Pondered getting the composites, but didn't.  The current ones are getting all burnt and greasy/dirty from wear and tear.  Don't feel like dropping $200 for new composite tables so was wondering what others have done.  I want something that will not burn and is easy to clean.  I was pondering using a couple of the screws already in the cedar strips and putting a cookie sheet over top of the cedar.  Lip up contains spills, easy to clean, and no burns.  Lip down same scenario just no spill containment.  What have you done?
Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
Cobourg, Ontario

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm in the same boat, except I don't intend to do anything about it. :) Might flip the boards over if they get too bad. Some have used nylon cutting boards cut to fit, but don't imagine they'll stand up to a hot CI pan. If you do damage one, they're cheap enough. All sorts of sizes and colors, especially at restaurant supply places.

Don't know anything about Trex decking material. Heat resistance? No idea.

I don't think I'd care for the cookie sheet solution. If you use them, lip up, don't forget to lower in the rain. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Have a buddy that took a granite resurfacing top (about 1/2 in thick) and adhered it to the old cedar. Got them as scraps from the resurfacing business next door to his shop. Looks pretty good!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    I took 2 16 X16 inch pieces of 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood and stained them. Then went to Home Depot and bought 2 ceramic tile squares that were also 16X16 inch. Some construction adhesive that I had left over. Clamped the tiles to the PT wood until the glue dried. Then screwed them to the existing side table arms from the underside. Not the nicest but it sure was better than the original side tables.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Go to a kitchen remodel / cabinet shop and ask if you can buy a couple small scraps of Corion.  Cut to size, drill and countersink your holes, and you will have easy clean up shelves that can withstand weather and heat.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Both good ideas.  Thanks.  I will check into both options at the local shops and see what shakes out. A little classier than a cookie sheet:)  
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I have the composite shelves and they are not easy to clean either. They will clean up like new but you need some abrasive cleaner and some time
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario