Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection disappointment

I have done quite a few briskets with varying degrees of success. I thought I finally had things figured out to a point where I was pleased, so I naturally tried to get to that next level. I've read a lot about people injecting their briskets and decided to give it a go. I made my injection with the following...brown sugar, salt, apple cider, apple cider vinegar and worcestershire sauce. I injected about 3 cups into the meat. I didn't notice much (if any) change in flavor and found that there was a lot of discoloration around my injection points. I don't think it added any moisture either? Barring some advice as to where I went wrong I think I'll be foregoing this messy and burdensome step in the future. I hate to give up since there must be something to it with all these professional BBQ teams swearing by injections...right now I'm just swearing at injections! Thoughts?
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    What grade of meat did you inject?  Where did you get the injection recipe?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    After chasing the brisket holy grail for way too long, cazzy's question about grade of brisket is critical.  Go big or go home with brisket-CAB or better at a minimum for me.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    This was a prime whole packer from Costco.
  • Kruegs
    Recipe was pulled off a website.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

how long did you let the injection rest before going on the egg?  Just like any curing/marinating step I think you would need to give it several hours (to day(s)) to achieve noticeable differences.  Once the meat starts to cook it will tighten the fibers and squeeze out moisture. 

I've never injected brisket but I don't think injection works without a step to rest after.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Kruegs
    Probably only rested about an hour after. That could be part of problem.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Is this the first prime brisket you've done? My first thought is your brisket didn't need the help of an injection. That is great meat and should stand well on its own.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Kruegs
    No. I've almost always done prime and had very good luck. I was more or less curious if the injection would give me another bump. Like I mentioned, the meat itself was great, I just didn't see any difference and was wondering if it was something I did or if injecting just doesn't make much difference.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I have tried injecting briskets and all I seemed to accomplish was making a mess of my kitchen.  Needless to say, I don't do it anymore.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've never heard of an acidic injection for brisket. That doesn't mean that they aren't out there. I was under the impression that you injected a brisket to add fat and liquid. Acid/oil marinades and injections take a long time to work. Brisket fibers are tight and it would be difficult to get a lot of it distributed. I've used a demi-glace with brisket before and it made a difference. I think you would inject toward the end of the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Shiff said:
    I have tried injecting briskets and all I seemed to accomplish was making a mess of my kitchen.  Needless to say, I don't do it anymore.

Ditto.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I seem to remember Dave Bouska of Butcher's BBQ mention that you should inject with the grain and I can't find it but I swear someone (thought it was Dave also) said that using tap water in the injection can cause discoloration as well. 

I inject my briskets with simply beef stock and Braggs Liquid Aminos at home but I'm using choice CAB briskets, not prime or wagyu.   I've tried a few commercial injections but didn't find much difference from using the beef stock/Braggs which is cheaper and easier for me.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Just throwing some stuff out. I think it is more what you are injecting than the injecting itself. 

2 things I don't like with brisket are sweet and vinegar. Try something beefy/salty, and I think you will be happier. Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kruegs
    Thanks for all the comments!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    @Kruegs‌ I have done injections on flats only to keep it as moist as possible. I've done simple beef broth and have also used straight apple cider. Keeping the injection simple and I've had good results. As far as packer cut w/ a CAB prime I'm with @Cazzy on don't need it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL