Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken - FTC question

Options
This Wednesady, I'm going to be serving lunch at about 11:30AM and cooking my chickens to 165 internal temp at around 7AM.  Can I keep them warm until 11:30 using FTC or should I just give up and cook them the night before an refrigerate them?
XL Owner

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Is this for co-workers? If so, you could always take a 1/2 day and show up at lunch. ;)

Does your office have an oven? If so, I would just cook the night before and then heat in the oven.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    No, we don't have an oven in the office.  That's the dilemma with work events.
    XL Owner
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Always had the same question about chickens
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Why not.

It is the same as long as the temperature in the coolers can be maintained above 140F.

I might be hesitant on the 4.5 hour FTC and chickens though. The chickens are "hollow" as compared to a butt which is a solid mass and can carry heat longer.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2014
    Options
    All cooked meat has the same rules.... Keep it above 140F.

The FTC method only works well with a hunk of meat that starts at 200F ... knowing window of 60F before a safety issue could possibly exists.  Chicken would only be 150F-170F going into the cooler, making the window pretty smaller.

The other issue with chicken, steak and the like is that holding it trying to hold it over 140 for 4.5 hours will basically ruin it IMO.  The same might be said for reheating it.  Given a choice, I would choose re-heating.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I think 4.5 hours might be a bit long.  When you cook a butt or brisket, the IT is 195-205 when you take it out of the cooker so it can stay safe in a cooler much longer.  If you cook the chicken to 165 it will drop below the danger zone faster.  I think the general guideline is you only want the food to be in the danger zone for a couple of hours.  IMO chances are it would probably be fine and nobody would get sick, but it might be cold anyway and you have to reheat so it is probably best to err on the side of caution and just plan to reheat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Don't think it would be a health issue, but keeping the chicken wrapped in foil for that long will pretty much destroy any crisp you have on the skin.  I think the chicken will come out better if you reheat. 
    Southern California