Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Four Roses Single Barrel

Options
On recommendations of several on this forum, most notably @B&BKnox and @Eggcelsior I just picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel.  The shop I bought it from visited the distillery and selected their own barrel, so the bottle I got is unique to the store.  Sipping on it right now.  Phenomenal.  Love the spice.  Anyway, to those who recommended, thank you!

Southern California

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm not known for drinking on this forum...but I had Four Roses when I was in Nashville. It was pretty damn good. I liked the double oak cherry juice that @henapple gave me a lil better. Both are great options.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ship that bottle to me! That's my birthday.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You're older than two and a half months.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're older than two and a half months.
    True, but every February 13, XXXX is my birthday. Don't quite know why. Maybe because I was born on that date 30-some years ago? I don't quite remember, but I'll trust my mom and South Carolina Birth Certificate.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Be sure to send her flowers on that day every year.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    If you like Four Roses Single Barrel, go pick up some Jefferson Reserve.  It's a bit more expensive but my goodness it's good...
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @Maizeandbrew18 - Funny enough, my brother just bought two bottles of Jefferson's 18 at auction.  Apparently the 17 and 18 came from Stitzel-Weller.  I'm dying to try it.  You can't find them anywhere.  Believe me, I've tried.
    Southern California
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Not my favorite bourbon for that price but it is certainly good. 
    Boom
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Nice, That is what I referred to as cask strength and the only way to get that is if your local liquor store purchased an entire barrel.  Regular Four Roses Single Barrel is 100 proof, your bottle is 111 proof.  This stuff for the money is as good as bourbon gets.  Congrats!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Bill_Swerski
    Options
    this has been high on my list for some time.  I might have to see my bourbon guy on the way home from work today.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @B&BKnox - Thanks again.  I've been having a glass each night with dinner.  It gets better and better.  What's really blowing me away is how thick it is.  Comparing it against Woodford the other day was an interesting test.  It's got the texture of syrup, whereas Woodford, which I enjoy so I'm not bashing, was comparatively thin.  Also, like I said, the spice is pretty outstanding.  From what I understand, that's on account of the high rye mashbill.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying it.  Worth every penny.
    Southern California
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Higher gravity bourbons do seem to get a bit thicker.  Yes Rye and yeast have a big effect on taste.  I have a George T Stagg that is 143 proof its creamy and, of course, very potent.  Regular Four Roses single barrel is an even better price point and nothing to sneeze at either.  Enjoy it!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN