Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing Delight

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have tried several methods on the Egg for chicken wings and after reading an article on here recently I decided to try it out some new advice.  The Wings turned out great and were a huge hit with the crowd.    I mixed Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom & Weber Kickin Chicken together with baking powder, 2 to 1 ratio to give the skin some crunch.  Had the Egg preheated to 350*, indirect with a raised grill.  Turned the wings 1/2 way through the cook and removed from the grill at 185*.  I placed the wings in a large zip lock bag and mixed with buffalo wing sauce.  I added the wings back to the grill for a few minutes to firm up the sauce.  The result was a very spicy, juicy and tender wing, glad I made lots cause they were popular!  

Special thanks to Mattman3969 for his advice

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good and sounds even better. Sounds like some good football watching food. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Man. Those look amazing!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wings look great!!! I can't take credit for the baking powder idea. I was just paying forward what I learned here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How is the Guys wing sauce??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Nice wings, I have used guys Korean wing sauce for something different and they were wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    The wings look great but I think you may have opened Pandora's box with Guy Fieri sauce!  The last time I saw his name mentioned on this forum he got ripped to shreds.  Not sure why? Can I have their share of the wings?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • GATraveller
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I heard his restaurant in Time Square is garbage but I love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wings look great!  I like the method you used.  

I have tried GF BBQ sauce and it was actually really good.  It was the only sauce I could find at Wally World that didn't have HFCS. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• drewmack
    drewmack Posts: 53
    Options
    How long did it take to get to 185?
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I heard his restaurant in Time Square is garbage but I love Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

I ate at his "Johnny Garlics" concept outside of Sacramento. It was "meh". Over the top recipes and rather pricey. It wasn't bad, just not great.

This was posted after his disastrous Times Square review. I laugh every time I see it: http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Monty77
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    The wings look great but I think you may have opened Pandora's box with Guy Fieri sauce!  The last time I saw his name mentioned on this forum he got ripped to shreds.  Not sure why? Can I have their share of the wings?  
    Sauce was decent, I normally make my own Buffalo, but on this occasion I was a trying to use up a bottle I had in the fridge and this worked out beautifully.  I don't mind his sauces, had really good results with his bourbon brown sugar on ribs, and the Kansas City has been a favourite around here too.  I normally try many different brands and flavours, don't like to stick to just one, but I always keep a bottle of Fat Matt's Rib Shack BBQ sauce on hand, a must stop for me whenever we go to Atlanta!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• Monty77
    Options
    drewmack said:
    about 40-45 minutes, Dr BBQ once told me to listen for the dripping to stop sizzling on the foil that covers the plate setter or drip pan, and then let them go another 5-10 minutes and they should be perfect!  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    drewmack said:

IMHO wings are one of the things poultry wise that benefit by marinating, slow cooking, glazing etc etc and you'll likely go over the typical temp mark for dark meat but, still end up with kick a$$ wings.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Options
    How is the Guys wing sauce??
    Sauce was ok, I like a few of his other ones much better, Bourbon Brown Sugar and Kansas City.  I don't mind this one though, tasted really good, but I would like a bit more heat with my wings! 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Everything does look delightful...except Guy. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Looks awesome. Between you, @hapster and @cazzy, y'all could put out the ultimate Eggers' Coffee Table book. Great pic

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • SenorHuevo
    SenorHuevo Posts: 40
    Options
    I need to try the dry rub, then sauce method.  Results look good. 

I'd enjoyed the simple wings + Frank's marinated overnight, direct at 250 -- makes a very clean eating wing with a crisp skin, but this looks like a great approach for a more traditionally glazed wing.  I like it.

Thanks for sharing.
    I will never cook inside again.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking wings, like the Moosehead as well. Why the zip lock to drench with the hot sauce? I've always just thrown them in a large SS mixing bowl, dumped the sauce over them and tossed before going back on the grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    IMHO wings are one of the things poultry wise that benefit by marinating, slow cooking, glazing etc etc and you'll likely go over the typical temp mark for dark meat but, still end up with kick a$$ wings.
    Couldn't agree more. I never check temp on wings, just know when they're done. I imagine they're usually 190+, but always turn out fantastic. i usually go 275'ish or so for a couple hrs. Wings are my favorite thing to do on the egg. 
  • GATraveller
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Monty77 - Fat Matt's rocks.  Have you been to Fox Brothers here in Atlanta??  Their wings are AWESOME!!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Is 2:1 rub:baking powder the best ratio for wings or other skinned bird parts?  I've been using 3:1 and getting great crunch but thinking about upping the rub for more flavor.  Also, despite what I've thought was sufficient mixing, I've gotten some white-ish residue on the wings that I attributed to too much bp.  Thoughts on ratio and experience would be much appreciated.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not bad for a NOOBS

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Monty77
    Options
    Great looking wings, like the Moosehead as well. Why the zip lock to drench with the hot sauce? I've always just thrown them in a large SS mixing bowl, dumped the sauce over them and tossed before going back on the grid. 
    Too lazy to mess up another bowl since I already had a counter covered in dishes from my prep on a prime rib and steaks, this was just the easiest way to apply at the time. 

• Monty77
    Options
    @Monty77 - Fat Matt's rocks.  Have you been to Fox Brothers here in Atlanta??  Their wings are AWESOME!!!
    I am afraid not, whenever we come down for Eggfest at the speedway or now Stone Mountain, I am sure to stop in to my fav rib shack, but I am always up for more great food, whats the location and similar foods to Fat Matts?

• Monty77
    Options
    Is 2:1 rub:baking powder the best ratio for wings or other skinned bird parts?  I've been using 3:1 and getting great crunch but thinking about upping the rub for more flavor.  Also, despite what I've thought was sufficient mixing, I've gotten some white-ish residue on the wings that I attributed to too much bp.  Thoughts on ratio and experience would be much appreciated.
    I had some white spots as well due to heavy spots of bp, that is why I like the sauce afterwards to cover that up and coat the wings!  I have never tried the 3:1, but this method was bang on for my taste buds! 

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Looks great! Bookmarked it for Memorial Day chicken wings.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GATraveller
    edited May 2014
    Options

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I live in the burbs of Atlanta but I have not been to Fat Matt's or Fox Bros X_X

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - shame on you [-X   Fat Matt's has the best rib sandwich around.  Wings and jalapeno cornbread from Fox Bros is slammin!!

@Monty77 - might also want to try Heirloom Market BBQ.  I haven't been there yet but all my buddies RAVE about it (especially the Korean style sauce).    http://www.heirloommarketbbq.com/     

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - shame on you [-X   Fat Matt's has the best rib sandwich around.  Wings and jalapeno cornbread from Fox Bros is slammin!!

@Monty77 - might also want to try Heirloom Market BBQ.  I haven't been there yet but all my buddies RAVE about it (especially the Korean style sauce).    http://www.heirloommarketbbq.com/     
    I haven't been to Heirloom either :(.  All 3 have been on my list for a while.