Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cazzy's Wings

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I've kept it for 6 months once and didn't die. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @cazzy, have you really kept it for a couple of months in the fridge?
    Don't know about @cazzy, but I have kept for a month. 
    When the marinade is hot, I toss it in a mason jar, let it cool in the fridge and it virtually vac seals. Never gone longer than a month. It had much more "attitude", I ate the wings myself, SWMBO was a tad upset. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy

@cazzy, have you really kept it for a couple of months in the fridge?

Don't know about @cazzy, but I have kept for a month. 
    When the marinade is hot, I toss it in a mason jar, let it cool in the fridge and it virtually vac seals. Never gone longer than a month. It had much more "attitude", I ate the wings myself, SWMBO was a tad upset. 

I'm the only one in my house who eats my wings so attitude is goooooood.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited April 2014
    @ Cazzy
    My fear is that with a bigger batch, I would be doing a way to many wings in a month.  ;) We just had some a couple of days ago with your sauce, SWMBO has demanded that I make a larger batch and have it ready at all times. Thank You Sir! 
    We are also planning a wang feast with friends in a couple of weeks, not sure how many pounds we will put down but it is going to be big. Can't wait. 
    Have you ever made ur own mirin wine subsisute?

Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy

@ Cazzy

My fear is that with a bigger batch, I would be doing a way to many wings in a month.  ;) We just had some a couple of days ago with your sauce, SWMBO has demanded that I make a larger batch and have it ready at all times. Thank You Sir! 
    We are also planning a wang feast with friends in a couple of weeks, not sure how many pounds we will put down but it is going to be big. Can't wait. 
    Have you ever made ur own mirin wine subsisute?

Make the bigger batch now for your Wang fest...earlier the better. The heat adds another level of goodness.

I haven't made a substitute but @Skiddymarker‌ has.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @Skiddymarker, care to share buddy.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Skiddymarker, care to share buddy.
    @cazzy wings have been twisted, turned and tweaked a number of times at my place. Here's my thoughts: 
    If you are out of or don't use Mirin, you can get similar results using:
    Dry sherry (typically 15-20% alcohol) - mix 30ml white sugar with 125ml dry sherry (2 Tbs to 1/2cup)
    Medium Sweet Sherry (typically 15-20% alcohol) - use as is or sugar to taste.  
    Super sweet sherry and sweet white wines 4 or higher on sweetness scale, use as is. Gewürztraminer/Riesling work but may need a touch of sugar.
    Dry Chardonnay - (0-1) mix 15ml white sugar with 125ml dry Chardonnay (1 Tbs to 1/2cup)
    Just dump it all in the saucepan, it will disolve.

I use a 40% rice wine made by a Taiwanese friend, sweetened like a dry sherry. 
    Given the recipe calls for 1 part Mirin to 2 parts soy and 2 parts packed brown sugar, I don't think it matters all that much. 
    For brown sugars, tried everything from grocery store golden (from beets and cane) to Turbinado. I think the Turbinado dissolves better and produces a better glaze on the wings and in the reduced sauce. Also lets me use it up so it does not get too old. 
    Biggest taste change can come from the soy sauce. Family likes Kikkoman, I prefer a saltier super cheapie like Pearl River Bridge. 
    If you like the heat, as Cazzy says - let it steep. In a rush I tried cayenne, but didn't care for it as much. The winner was Ground Szechuan peppercorns (Penzey's). Very good and ready within couple of hours, if not immediately. Substitute directly for red pepper flakes. 
    No matter what you use, these are great. 
    Hope this helps.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Cazzy's wings - every month at least once. I do substitute 40% rice wine in the recipe - still very good for sticky Asian wings. 

Wow! Those look beyond awesome! I'm a sucker for wings, and those look fantastic! 
  • cazzy
    FLbobecu said:

Cazzy's wings - every month at least once. I do substitute 40% rice wine in the recipe - still very good for sticky Asian wings. 

Wow! Those look beyond awesome! I'm a sucker for wings, and those look fantastic! 

WTF...Chicken, really??? :-? Say it isn't so Steak Man!! X_X