Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Set up pics and parts lists two pizza' sat a time.

Options
GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I absolutely love to cook pizza on the egg but I run into time issues when we have more than 4 adults over at a time. I'm looking for the best way to get two stones/pies on the grill at the same time. Care to share your setup?
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Why? Pizza at 650℉-750℉ is normally only going to take 5 to maybe 10 minutes. By the time you throw a pie in your egg and start prepping the next pie it is time to pull the one in the egg imho.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I prep mine on parchment paper so I have them ready to go. I make one at a time and some folks are standing around waiting on the next one. By standing around I mean wiping out whatever appetizer I made! Was just looking for a way to get two at a time, more people eating at once. Sometimes I have 10-15 adults if the whole family is over plus kids. We are the gathering place for our family.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @GeorgeS nothing wrong with that line of thinking.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌... How many pies are you kicking out on average for an "average" get together. But, if you are doing all the prep and cooking it may be difficult to manage two pizza hot BGEs at the same time. But, that would be a great justification for a 2nd LBGE ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GeorgeS
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If we have the whole family, I have seen up to 6 pies dissapear from the counter. I usually keep em coming until half a pizza is left when I take one off.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited April 2014
    Options
     Set the first stone on the second notch of an AR, no rack just on top of the support bars. Set the second stone on top of the extender, again with out a  rack. Bottom pizza will cook about 5 minutes faster than the top one. When you get an empty stone put on another pie. When I have people over for pizza. I make all the pizzas up before they get there and put them in the fridge on metal pizza pans. When I start to cook my wife keeps brining out pies as soon as I pull one off. I use parchment and pull it off the top pizza after 4 minutes. However, I leave the parchment under the bottom pizza, to help prevent it from burning. Until you get the hang of it you have to check them often.  
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @keepervodeflame‌ Do you have anything under the bottom stone to create an indirect cook? Plate setter or anything, or is it raised direct?
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @keepervodeflame‌ ..It looks like an AR with a stone deflector and then two pizza stones? Does this create an obstacle putting pies in and pulling out? And are you doing high temp pies w/ this setup?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @georges here is a pic of something I did last night. I had a pizza that was getting close to burning on the bottom and the toppings were not yet melted. So I decided to grab the rack I have made to raise it up further in the dome. I also added a pizza under it while the toppings finished off. I am
    Planning to make a taller raised grid so melt time it's not too hard to get another underneath.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I've done an egg and oven pizza at the same time for 15+ people. I made 8 in about 45 mins or so.
    Use the oven or wait the 1 mins between pizzas
    Seattle, WA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Thanks guys! I may finally bite the bullet on an AR.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    In the cook pictured I used two pizza stones. One was set on the second notch of the AR and the other on top of the extender. There was no deflector below the bottom stone so it was directly over the flame. I use this same set up to cook one pizza on the top stone. But had a group over so I used it to cook two at once. As I said the bottom pizza cooked about 5 minutes faster than the one on top. and I left the parchment on it. I could put a diffuser low on the attached spider but, i am afraid or doing that during a high heat cook, because I think it could over heat and crack the fire box. Accessing the bottom pizza is easy with a BGE peel that easily fits between the AR's uprights. 
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Thank you!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I'm new to the BGE and to this site....What is an AR?  Thanks, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • GeorgeS
    edited April 2014
    Options
    AR = Adjustable Rig allows you to increase the amount of cooking surface by creating second and third raised grids. Welcome to the forum!

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-adjustable-rig.html
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Thanks, I do a lot of cooking and a lot of BBQ'ng but just got a BGE. Usually use a WSM18. 
    Dearborn MI
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I never used a smoker before and only had one cheap charcoal grill before the egg but I got tired of buying nice gas grills and having them fail in only a couple years. My last gasser was only 5 years old and cost me $1300. The company sold out and then the new company stopped making parts for it so I couldn't even fix it. Good thing about ceramic is it doesn't rust and with the BGE warranty I'm not worries about broken stuff! I have really enjoyed learning to cook on my egg! Hope you enjoy yours as much or more!
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    That's too bad.....my Weber Gasser is 21 years old and the only thing I replaced was the grates and the flavorizer bars once so far.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on exactly what I would want with that A.R......Does their ceramic plate replace the plate setter for low and slow cooks when you use their product?  I'm sure they have good customer service if I called and had questions.
    Dearborn MI
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ - assuming you have a Large Egg, yes, the CGS stone replaces the plate setter. I would advise going here: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/pizza.html to see their recommended two tier pizza set up and if you click on the red "tabs" (links) you'll see recommended set ups for just about any type of cooking you want. That should help you decide. Tom (a.k.a tjv) can also guide you to what you need without overselling you.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Stupid question for @GeorgeS do you throw who pie on with parchment paper and all? 
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

The two tier swing rack From Ceramic Grillworks will also work. It's a real good added tool.

• GeorgeS
    Options
    @Brew'nQue‌ Yes I put the pie on the parchment paper in the egg until the bottom firms up enough to pull the paper out from under the pie. Some people leave the paper all the way through the cook.
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    WOW! This is great news! Cant tell you how many calzones and ripped pizzas I've made because I struggle to get the pie free from the peel.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Just another thought- what size stone are you using?  Perhaps you could get a bigger stone and make bigger pies.   I have been using a 16 inch stone and found it works fine, but I don't go nuclear with the temp.  I have heard people say that 16 inches will restrict airflow too much to go high temp.  It also depends on your setup (how high your stone is in the dome).   If you go from 14 to 16 inch pizza that is roughly 1/3 more pizza at a time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Michael Chance makes a 2 pizza rig called "The Roswell Rig". They're very reasonable, too. Check it out: http://www.innovationsbychance.com/
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is pretty cool @Egret.  Is he located in Roswell, GA? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That is pretty cool @Egret.  Is he located in Roswell, GA? 
    Yes, I think he does. He's going to be at the GA Mt. Eggfest as a vendor........
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL. I have had several couples over and let them each dress their own pizza. One at a time back to back.  As the pizza's are done we bring it in and cut it up for all to start.  By the time that pie is gone and often before, the next one is done. There is some friendly competition about whose is best and some ribbing about whose is worst but its fun.   It also works out great as there is time to pour another cocktail or grab another appetizer while you are waiting for the next pie  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE