Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Bend Test Question

Options
Randy1
Randy1 Posts: 379
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have got to the point I think I know how to cook ribs, however, yesterday I cooked four racks at once on a large. When I selected the ribs, Harps grocery has two brands of ribs. I bought 3 of one ( more expensive) and one of the cheaper brand. I cooked using car wash mike method like I always do. The cheaper ribs passed the bend test @ four hours. The more expensive ones would not. I even cooked them 30 min longer. The ones that passed the bend test were great-the others were below average IMO ( a little tougher). I think the cheaper ones are just better. I was wondering if I could have done something different to make the others pass the bend test. I have tried to foil ribs and I didn't care for that. Thoughts?( 220 -240 1st 3 hours. Then 250-275 last hour and a half. When they wouldn't bend I let it go over 300 for 30 min hoping I could get them to bend. They came close, but were too tough to suit me.)
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Could it depend on where you placed the odd set of ribs? I know the egg cooks rather evenly but sometimes i have noticed that the food near the 3 air flow areas on the inside edge of the egg cooks faster than food in the center. After all, thats where the heat flows upward from the coal. Also, did the more expensive ribs have a solution injected in them from the vendor? Many ribs from the grocery store have a salt and water solution injected in them to make them more moist etc. Perhaps thats what made them cook faster but i doubt it.  Sorry i don't have a definite answer but without knowing more detail its hard to tell. But then again it was only one test. Could have been nothing but an anomaly. 
  • Randy1
    Options
    @SmokingOzarksBBQ‌ it was the more expensive ones that didn't bend. I think it may be the meat. One rack was great(cheaper) the others were mediocre ( more expensive). Thanks for the input.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Haven't used the bend test, but try sticking a toothpick either straight down inbetween two bones, or inbetween two bones horizontally on the side of the rack.  You can check for doneness at different sections of the slab.  I usually do 3, and the end sections usually finish first.  You will feel very little resistance when they are done.  Like sticking a toothpick in room temp butter.  Similar to probing a brisket.  

If you want consistent results, do not cook ribs to time.  Have had spares go 8 plus hours on occasion for example.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    The more expensive had a higher fat content... need to be on longer to render the fat.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Randy1
    Options
    @Focker @ShadowNick‌ thanks for the input. That helps. I know not to cook anything else to time....why would ribs be different? I will use toothpick test next time.
    Maumelle, Arkansas