Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjust or Stay?

Options
Doing my first bone in Picnic Butt, Dry rubbed with platesetter legs up then grate.
Had the temp locked in at 350 for 20 minutes before I put meat on, It is 8 Lbs, planning on going straight through to the end no foil.
Temp dropped to 300 and hasn't risen?  I know the large slab of meat is responsible for that but do I adjust DW to bring temp up or do not touch?
It is 8 Lbs, planning on going straight through to the end no foil.
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How long was it stable at 350* and how long since you put the butt on?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Was at 350 for 20 minutes, butt been on 20,

• kdink
    Options
    Correct that butts been on 45
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wait, it will probably recover temp without adjusting. If you had preheated the ceramics longer, recovery time would be shorter. If after an hour temp isn't where you want, make a slight adjustment and wait again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I've done the readjustment thing and then left the house for a couple hours and returned to find the temp at 400. Didn't negatively affect the outcome, so I'd think you'd be fine either way.
  • kdink
    Options
    I opened both door and dw, got it to 350 then slightly closed both, seems to be holding right at 350,
    Thanks for the help! will keep it updated.

Here is the starting pic!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited April 2014
    Options
    After learning temp control manually, you can spoil yourself with a temp controller, especially for lo and slo!
    canuckland
  • kdink
    Options
    After learning temp control manually, you can spoil yourself with a temp controller, especially for lo and slo!
    Been here for 20 minutes, so far thanks to you guys I'm learning!
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    Have any of you tried leaving the bottom vent wide open and adjusting the temp with just the top vent? I remember reading the post of the guy who made the electronic temp controller on the top vent and he said he left the bottom vent wide open and was able to get to 225.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Caymanite said:
    Have any of you tried leaving the bottom vent wide open and adjusting the temp with just the top vent? I remember reading the post of the guy who made the electronic temp controller on the top vent and he said he left the bottom vent wide open and was able to get to 225.
    I'll do that. I may not leave the bottom door wide open, but get it within range and use the DW to dial it in. On low and slow cooks, I'll be more carefully. For doing a whole chicken, wings, burgers, etc this method works fine. It's all about airflow. You can limit it at the draft door or limit what can escape using the DW.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    I have always adjusted both top and bottom and it works fine for me. I have read where some leave one wide open and only adjust one. Can't remember who now by they firmly felt that the DW was not needed at all for any cooks. Either way works. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    The egg can be controlled by either vent, or both
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for the input, will have to try it next time with the bottom vent wide open.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL