Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Wagyu Ribeye - Teaser

FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Picked up this lovely piece of meat last weekend. Cooking it tomorrow.. Aging in the cryo-vac, waiting to be eaten! 

12oz, dry aged, American Wagyu. 

More to come. :)

Comments

• Yeah, that should be good!  =P~
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks awesome...Whats your plan on cooking that baby..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
    Looks awesome...Whats your plan on cooking that baby..

Not sure of the game-plan this week. Been using cast iron frequently. 

I can either use the Egg, with the grate in the lower position. Cook and finish on the grill.

I haven't cooked a steak on top of hot coals in a while; and may consider a quick sear on the coals, and finish on a raised grate. 

As it stands right now, I'm going to sear over a hot fire, and finish in a medium-hot cast iron skillet. Add some porcini butter, and baste the steak in the "steak gravy" + porcinni butter. Pictures and maybe a short video to follow! :)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Beautiful chunk-o-cow - just remember that dry aged beef cooks faster than "grocery store red" meat so cook to temperature and not to time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Where'd you get that?
    Dunedin, FL
  • FLbobecu
    RRP said:

Beautiful chunk-o-cow - just remember that dry aged beef cooks faster than "grocery store red" meat so cook to temperature and not to time.

Yes sir. I try and buy dry aged when and where possible. I love the flavor(s)!! :)

• FLbobecu
    yzzi said:

Where'd you get that?

Local butcher. My job on Saturdays. ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    FLbobecu said:
    Yes sir. I try and buy dry aged when and where possible. I love the flavor(s)!! :)
    I too love dry aged beef - some say it is an acquired tasted, but I say once acquired you'll never appreciate non-aged! BTW have you ever tried to dry age your own? It is easier than you might think!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    FLbobecu said:

yzzi said:

Where'd you get that?

Where are you located? Curious as I'm in Tampa area, and your handle has FL in it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • FLbobecu
    yzzi said:

FLbobecu said:

yzzi said:

Where'd you get that?

Where are you located? Curious as I'm in Tampa area, and your handle has FL in it.

Orlando, FL :)
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    @FLbobecu Just curious what butcher shop.  We live over on the Space Coast and I cannot find dry aged beef anywhere over here.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • FLbobecu
    @FLbobecu Just curious what butcher shop.  We live over on the Space Coast and I cannot find dry aged beef anywhere over here.
    Pettys Meats in Longwood. Or talk with Joey @ Fairway Packing out of Detroit. 

My order was 5-18oz 50-day dry aged Wagyu strips. 

And this is one of the 5 steaks I received:

RRP said:
    FLbobecu said:
    I too love dry aged beef - some say it is an acquired tasted, but I say once acquired you'll never appreciate non-aged! BTW have you ever tried to dry age your own? It is easier than you might think!

I have tried dry aging my own USDA Prime whole loins from Costco. The results weren't quite what I was expecting. I tried semi-commando with cheese-cloth and netting, I've tried with the DA-bags, and in the end I just leave it to the professionals. 

When buying a whole loin, I am unable to really see the marbling within, and since I like to see what I am buying, I tend to either get it from reputable dry aging sources, or from work. 
  • Do not use cheesecloth.  Cheesecloth does nothing, and was never used in the aging of meat.  It's a useless step added by self-proclaimed foodie internet bloggers who have no idea how meat is aged, or why. They can't abide the thought of unwrapped meat in their refrigerator, and so decide that draping it in something will magically protect it.  Then they get nervous about covering it too much, so pick something which has a million holes. Or worse, think that towels will help wick away moisture.

It's foolish, really.  Absolutely no logic involved in their thought process.

I will never understand why people will over complicate things which are at their heart incredibly simple.  Bags, nets, towels.  None of them needed to age beef.

But that doesn't stop folks from adding complications which do not add value.

This isn't directed at you.   It's just that the ludicrous methods, which seem to abound on the internet for aging, have almost nothing to do with the way meat is aged. And we see them repeated over and over.

It's like people saying "I really love beer, I'll make some at home.  But I'm going to use totally different methods and ingredients"  And then they wonder why it isn't the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• FLbobecu
    Do not use cheesecloth.  Cheesecloth does nothing, and was never used in the aging of meat.  It's a useless step added by self-proclaimed foodie internet bloggers who have no idea how meat is aged, or why. They can't abide the thought of unwrapped meat in their refrigerator, and so decide that draping it in something will magically protect it.  Then they get nervous about covering it too much, so pick something which has a million holes. Or worse, think that towels will help wick away moisture.

It's foolish, really.  Absolutely no logic involved in their thought process.

I will never understand why people will over complicate things which are at their heart incredibly simple.  Bags, nets, towels.  None of them needed to age beef.

But that doesn't stop folks from adding complications which do not add value.

This isn't directed at you.   It's just that the ludicrous methods, which seem to abound on the internet for aging, have almost nothing to do with the way meat is aged. And we see them repeated over and over.

It's like people saying "I really love beer, I'll make some at home.  But I'm going to use totally different methods and ingredients"  And then they wonder why it isn't the same.

Yeah.. I figured that out after being a member here, and REALLY becoming interested in aged beef. 

Once I came here, I learned about the bags, which had decent results, but I'd rather have a freezer full of steaks I can eat now, instead of a fridge with a 15lb+ piece of meat that I can't really eat for ~2 months.. Nothing against those who do age at home. I wish I could really get a proper set up (humidity/temp) but the spare fridge I have just doesn't quite cut it. Adequate I suppose. 

I have also never paid "more" for longer aged meat. For instance I pay the same for 40, 50, 60 & 70-day dry aged steaks.  

I'm happy with the quality I can get. If I weren't, I'd definitely have more invested to age whole loins properly.  
  • lantzwr
    @FLbobecu thanks for the info.  Just to clarify, does Petty's sell dry aged steaks also?  Thanks.  Going to go check out that website you gave me.

Boiler UP
  • FLbobecu
    lantzwr said:

@FLbobecu thanks for the info.  Just to clarify, does Petty's sell dry aged steaks also?  Thanks.  Going to go check out that website you gave me.

Yes. We sell dry aged beef. The steak pictured in the original post is from work. We have some dry aged Wagyu and some nice Prime bone in strips as well.
  • If I worked at a place that sells dry aged beef, I wouldn't bother doing it myself either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• lantzwr
    Thanks @FLbobecu .  I might make the trip over there in the next couple of weeks to get some.  I am still looking for the same taste I had at Del Monico's a few years ago in Las Vegas.  Best piece of meat I had ever eaten.  Unbelievable nutty/buttery taste.

Boiler UP
  • FLbobecu
    @lantzwr - Rob,

I suppose maybe I can make the trip over to the coast one weekend, and pay you a visit and bring a few "goodies" with me. :)

• lantzwr
    @FLbobecu We might have to look into that.... :-*

Boiler UP
  • FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
  • FLbobecu
    Here we go! :)

Getting ready for the evening. 

Enjoy! :)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    @FLbobecu‌ Looks like that will be fan-freaking-tastic!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Does your shop have online ordering?
  • If you can get one untrimmed, I'd beg you to try it. If you like the crisp crust of a finely done roast beef, the aged rind is even better by a substantial amount.

It may be unsightly for the timid among us, but it softens under melted fat, and crisps like bacon for those with a modicum of courage

Seneca Falls, NY

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If you can get one untrimmed, I'd beg you to try it. If you like the crisp crust of a finely done roast beef, the aged rind is even better by a substantial amount. It may be unsightly for the timid among us, but it softens under melted fat, and crisps like bacon for those with a modicum of courage
    You remind me of someone that I used to know. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FLbobecu
    hapster said:
    Does your shop have online ordering?
    Unfortunately not. 

I can ship things through my regular M-F job. At that job, we ship the most exotic meats all over the county. However they do not offer dry aged beef. 

If you're interested in ordering online, you have to try here:

E-mail Joey here:

And tell him what you're looking for. I asked to see pictures of the product I was buying, before I paid for it. The ONLY way I'd buy beef online, is if I saw what I was buying (as if it were a local B&M)

If you're interested, I suppose I can ship a few steaks to you. The dry aged Wagyu starts at $50/lb. Dry aged USDA Prime (at our store) is $32.99/lb-$37.99/lb. 

The piece pictured only set me back about $26 after discount. 

(I have ZERO intentions on making a profit. I am not in any way affiliated with Fairway, simply sharing my experience with them, and hopefully I am not in any way breaking any rules here)
  • FLbobecu
    hapster said:
    Thanks for the info :)

Glad I could help. :)

If you DO order from them, or work out an arrangement with me, please share your experience! 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Travis

I have never met you that I know.

Seneca Falls, NY