Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza-how to get to high temps

Options

I am new to this forum, and see that you really need to get to a high temp for pizza. I have some questions though:

Do you fill the box all the way with lump? If so do you use multiple fire starters to get it going?

I have a medium egg, and a pizza stone that is 15 inches, a snug fit but it works. I see recommendations for 12" stone, should I purchase or do you think the 15" will work?

I have been cooking about a month and never got close yet to these temps (by design of course). I am having some friends over Friday for pizza and don't want to mess this up.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! You don't have to do pizza at high temps. I have different recipes that cook from 450-725°. I have gone to 900° a few times, but gave it up. Most pies you might buy from the local pizzeria are baked at about 500°. 

I always fill the firebox, often halfway up the fire ring, regardless of what I'm cooking. What doesn't get used will still be there for the next cook For starting, I use a mapp torch. Haven't used starter cube in years. I used to split them in half and place them in two places. I light with the mapp in four spots (12/4/8/center), no matter what temp I want.

Some may argue, but I think a 15" stone is too large for a med egg. The stock size for a large is 14". That's what I have and it works well.

Are you making your own dough? If not, what are you planning to use? If this is your first attempt at pizza on the egg, I hope they are GOOD friends. 
    :D You might want to consider a trial run. 

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Thanks Michael! I planned on buying the dough at Trader Joe's, I have used theirs before and it is good and priced so well (about a buck a pack) that is not worth my time to make it. Given your comments I think I will purchase a new stone, paddle also (I think I really need one so I don't get burned) and maybe a trial run is in order. My husband generously offered to be the guinea pig:).

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    The Trader Joes dough is probably not meant to be used much over 500 - your crust will probably burn up if you try.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Lots of good information, glad I tried the forum! I can make my own, but are there any suggestions on pre-made? If not I have the BGE cookbook that has a few receipes for dough I can use.

"

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    By paddle, I assume you mean peel. Yes, you'll definitely want to have one for transferring your pizza onto and off of your cooking stone.

I generally get my dough rolled out to the desired diameter and then transfer it to my peel; sprinkled with corn meal to help prevent sticking (some use parchment paper). I add my sauce and toppings with the dough on the peel and then transfer the pit to the egg.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've been "BBQ'ing" for over 15 years and I find making good pizza one of the most difficult cooks to perfect.  There are so many factors that go into it: moisture content in dough, stone temperature, egg temperature, amount of sauce/toppings, etc.  My experience is that store bought doughs lack dough moisture and need to be cooked at lower temps (400 range).  I make a dough that can easily handle 600+ temps with about a 20 minutes pizza stone warm up.  You really need to experiment to see what combination works for you.  Once you get it down, it's all worth it as they come out really nice!  Good luck!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    My only screw ups for pizza have been not letting the stone come up to temp before putting the pie on. It was done on top long before the crust was crisp! You might want to check out your favorite pizza joint and see if they will sell you some dough. I buy my dough right from my local shop for $2.35 for a large dough. My set up is plate setter legs down, four aluminum foil balls about a 1/2" thick placed at 12,3,6, and 9. Then the stone. Let the stone get to temp, then put pie on. I make my pies on parchment paper then slide them onto the peel and take to the grill. I cook on the parchment just long enough for the crust to crisp then pull it out from under the pizza. Some guys leave it under for the whole cook. If you make your pizza on the peel you can only do one at a time because you need it to take the one your cooking off the grill.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    This is my set up on a XL.
    PS legs up. Clay pot feet I found at Lowe's. A 22" Weber grid. More pot feet and stone. This puts the stone 3.5 to 4" above the felt. Works great! image
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was wondering where to get something to prop up my raised grid to get more room for my dutch oven under my grid for beans to cook under brisket. Thank you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.