Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet tenderloin

Options
jamman
jamman Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Beef
I have a filet tenderloin 4 pounds .... Would like to cook whole Any suggestions on how to ... Should I sear it first , then cook on indirect heat or just cook it on direct heat. Serving for four

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You have a roast, my good man.  The filet would be a steak sliced from it.  But that's neither here nor there.

Do you have the whole thing, very long, thin at one end and big at the other? Or do you have the thick end only, in the form of a longish roast?  Has it been trimmed up, chain removed, etc.?

If so, I would suggest a chateaubriand roast, which means pan searing to brown all sides (with a little coating of oil) and then finishing in the same pan, indirect, until about 5 degrees below your desired inner temperature is reached.

Then rest and carve, serving with a pan sauce (with wine, made from the pan juices).  It is a typical recipe, fairly standard.  This is a typical one.  Tenderloin is all about tenderness, and less about flavor.  The critical thing here regarding adding flavor is a nice brown (not black!) pan sear (do it with a dry meat, coated barely with oil for contact), and the pan sauce.

You could do the drunk and dirty tenderloin recipe which used to be on the old site.  I don't know if anyone here has it.  It was the standard go-to for a BGE tenderloin.  EDIT: Found it "Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin"  This is good, some find the bourbon a bit much.  You can sub rum, Guinness, etc.

You could also wrap it in a bacon weave, and roast slowly indirect.  I have not done this.  Thin bacon is best.  May need to finish with a sear, or start with one (moderate, not flaming hot) to help the bacon along.  If you roast slowly, 225-250 for a few hours, the bacon should be crisp without the sear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Or if you have the APL Serious BBQ book try his beef tenderloin recipe - it is awesome http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164763/apl-beef-tenderloin-just-do-it#latest

Garnerville, NY
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I'm cooking one also I seared all four sides at about 500 on the mini then put in plate set.and got temp at 300 to finish at about 135 internal.letting rest now for 15 minutes.rolls and beef tenderloin for breakfast.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Nothing but salt and pepper for seasoning. Reverse sear to medium rare nirvana. No better way for filet.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm glad this came up, I have a full 6 pounder in freezer I am going to do soon. I was going to cut the tip off and make hamburger out of it and cook the the rest for friends. 4 pounds for 4 people is lot, you will have some great left overs. I am thinking of doing the bacon idea.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @robynbbq mentioned using an APL recipe for it.  I completely concur.  APL's tenderloin recipes are some of the best meals I've cooked.  He's got one from Serious Barbecue and one from Charred and Scruffed.  Either produces a show-stopping meal.
    Southern California
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's what I do with the filet roast.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.