Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cazzy's Wings

Trying @cazzy‌ wings tomorrow. Made my marinade yesterday, put the wings in it today, will cook tomorrow.

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I read that somewhere!! I don't want to use all my samich bags!! ;-)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Gallon bags for a samich, that's a samich I'd like to see. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    cazzy said:
    That cazzy guy is a freaking douche. He just told me that he usually let's them marinate in a gallon zip lock back. He then flips the bag 1/2 way through. Good luck! ;)

I heard that @cazzy guy is Aaron Franklin and he is using his pseudonym name and teasing us mortals to cook what he says.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• fusionhq
    All I had was samich bags...or so I thought. Just checked my garage for fish filet bags!! Had some!

@cazzy‌ ...if you're Aaron Franklin then spill the beans!!

• DMW said:

He must have a helluva wife if she makes sammiches that big. Trained her well.

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    He must have a helluva wife if she makes sammiches that big. Trained her well.
    I really want to see a 1 gallon samich!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited April 2014
    TUTTLE871 said:

cazzy said:

That cazzy guy is a freaking douche. He just told me that he usually let's them marinate in a gallon zip lock back. He then flips the bag 1/2 way through.

Good luck! ;)

I heard that @cazzy guy is Aaron Franklin and he is using his pseudonym name and teasing us mortals to cook what he says.

Hmmmmm...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • First rule of egghead forum...........never talk about egghead forum.

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Cazzy's wings - every month at least once. I do substitute 40% rice wine in the recipe - still very good for sticky Asian wings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Cazzy's wings - every month at least once. I do substitute 40% rice wine in the recipe - still very good for sticky Asian wings. 
    Great pic skiddy!!  I'd tear those up!

Edit, then click on the pic and click insert image, then delete.  Again, great darn pic!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    If Cazzy were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off a strong urge to thank him. Most interesting egger in the world.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Y'all are fools. =))
  • boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    ^^ LOL

wings look great  !!! can't wait to see the finished product!
  • fusionhq
    I can't wait to get home from work to fire that XL up!! I have a platesetter, grid and grid extender, any ideas on how to achieve the drip pan and cook above the felt with these accessories?  Not lucky enough to have an AR yet @cazzy
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @fusionhq-reads like you have all you need eggcept a drip pan.  Just fashion one out of HDAF and create an air gap between it and the platesetter so the drippings don't burn.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fusionhq
    I have some drip pans, sounds like I got it. 
  • fusionhq
    All set up and about stabilized.

• fusionhq
    Damn it. Walk inside for 4 minutes and my daisy opened last time I opened done to baste. Come back to 700!!! Trying to save em
  • DMW
    Here's a good way to set the DFMT so it doesn't do that in the future.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Always position the DFMT swing screw to the handle, always burp the egg.....We all do/did it. Good luck trying to make the save. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fusionhq
    @dmw thanks!! Got it now!! Still a newbie. Even though it tried to go nuclear on me, I think we're ok. Wings reading 160-165.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    DAmn, those look great. I have to try this
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cazzy
    Okay...just try to get a baste or two more. You want them to get sticky
  • Skiddymarker
    Looking good @fusionhq. I boil the used marinade, makes a very sticky almost candy like basting sauce. As long as it hits the boil for 3 to 5 minutes, no issue at all. Don't think @cazzy liked the idea with the first batch of his wings I tried, but it is safe. We use the really thick stuff for a dipping sauce. (So glad I have the old gasser side burner)

@GATABITES - they are awesome, nice change from the regular crispy or BBQ sauce wing. 
  • cazzy

Looking good @fusionhq. I boil the used marinade, makes a very sticky almost candy like basting sauce. As long as it hits the boil for 3 to 5 minutes, no issue at all. Don't think @cazzy liked the idea with the first batch of his wings I tried, but it is safe. We use the really thick stuff for a dipping sauce. (So glad I have the old gasser side burner)

@GATABITES - they are awesome, nice change from the regular crispy or BBQ sauce wing. 
    Lol. That's not necessarily true. I always thought I could do it...just didn't know it was safe (I've always been nervous with chicken) until you pointed it out. Definitely makes batches go alot further.
  • fusionhq
    Just an update. Now that I've washed my hands and face off.

WOW!!!

Even with my little miscue, they took longer to finish than I thought. I got it back to 400 and basted twice more. Even boiled the marinade before the last two. Didn't thicken it up like I was expecting, but MAN did it candy up the wings!! Props to @cazzy‌ for a REALLY good recipe. I personally would add more hot, but the misses said they were great!! Can't wait to cook these again for a crowd.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's not a save... That's a win!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    They look great! For more heat...make another batch or two of the marinade tomorrow and just throw it in your fridge for a week or two...or even a couple months. The longer it sits....the longer the chili flakes have to steep. You can also go to a thai grocery store (or restaurant) and get some thai chilis.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @cazzy, have you really kept it for a couple of months in the fridge?
    Large, small, and a mini