Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacationing in Daytona Beach,

Options
Going down to vacation on the beach the 3rd-10th. Would appreciate any imfo from the locals regarding restaurants,sights to see,etc. Would like to go deep/off shore fishing one half day, any recommendations? Anything to avoid? You probably know this routine. Thanks!
Hendersonville, TN.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Been real slow here @ work, boss recently approached me and told me this year he as gonna give me something better than a vacation ... that he was gonna let me keep my job. lol!

Have fun on your vacation ... Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

The bar on top of Joe's Crab Shack out on the pier is a nice place to be at sundown.

The boardwalk is fun if you have kids - or just want to act like one.

Ponce Inlet (south end of the island) has a cool lighthouse and park and some places to get a drink and/or dinner on the bay side and is also a good place to be around sundown.  A friend of mine lives there and likes Inlet Harbor - it's a good location and food is decent, but Tripadvisor suggests there are some better options.

Kennedy Space Center is an hour south, St. Augustine is an hour north.  Both are worth the visit if you have never been.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Foghorn thanks for the response, the lighthouse has already been recommended. Will take advantage of your suggestions. Sounds like sunset is whree it's happening!
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Bump to hopefully get more responses.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    The Daytona speed way is there. If you have kids or never been to a race it is quite impressive. We took the grands there and they still talk about it when they are watching the races. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Foghorn
    Options

Foghorn thanks for the response, the lighthouse has already been recommended. Will take advantage of your suggestions. Sounds like sunset is whree it's happening!

Being on the east coast it is generally a beautiful sunrise so early walks on the beach are great - but I don't know a great breakfast place. I generally vacation in St. Augustine Beach and go to Daytona one day about every other year to see my friend. I've been hoping that somebody who actually knows the Daytona area would chime in.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Thanks for the respondes so far. Gotta be some Eggers in Daytona Beach.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    If you are into Space, I would highly recommend going to the Kennedy Space Center for the day.  You can see the Space Shuttle Atlantis up close and personal.  Depending on where you are in Daytona, it might be about 45 minutes or so away from you.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Only place I went to was the raceway, and I don't remember much of it..Lol no help sorry
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Got family down there... Let me throw out some feelers!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Is this a "family" vaca or you alone? That might make a difference in spots recommended. Also do you mind roughneck biker type pubs or are you looking for more picturesque type of spots?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    If you don't mind traveling a little check out Blue Springs in Orange City. We took the kids there and they loved it. You can see alligator gar right through the water and they rent tubes so you can hop in and float down. They also have canoe rentals and boat tours. Just don't feed the squirrels!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Here are some photos from the park.

photo 943FA944-078D-47EF-8E07-2A6E1DE0F38A_zpsmx5gpzeu.jpg

photo 8B99DF52-2B73-4EEF-B216-EEF275E9A218_zpsevxildns.jpg

photo D8A03606-84B7-4BBA-A98D-3862778E9554_zpsn1iwa2hr.jpg

photo 623B69B4-9CA2-45DC-A512-A2CBEF0BB4AD_zpsbh6wlk0u.jpg

photo E5160C57-45B5-46B7-AE47-2B2D0814CA93_zpsv0ovvfij.jpg

photo BF8617E1-6464-46E3-87A8-A012DF4C0D6F_zpsnlysrtrs.jpg

DO NOT FEED ME!
    photo F6304D16-A282-40F8-A136-AA022A9E1FCD_zpst5vbdhfa.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    There are so many things to do for free in FL you will have a lot of choices and likely to little time. Daytona and surrounding area beaches etc are sure to please. If you plan on going on a Charter fishing trip I would suggest booking early because this time of year they get filled up quick.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • deadlyfrog
    Options

The best places to eat!

• Deck DownUnder.
    • Boone Docks
    • Hidden Treasure
    • Booths Bowery
    • Bubba Gumps

Enjoy.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    +1 on Bubba Gumps & Boondocks. Haven't been to the others to have an opinion. Good call @deadlyfrog‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ If you ever end up over near Astor there is a place on 40 Called Essex that has some of the best damn seafood I have ever had.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌...likewise if you ever UP here there's a Mom & Pop hole-n-the-wall called The Outback Crab Shack CR13 N in St Augustine near Palatka.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Goodriches is located just south of Daytona in Oak Hill....great food right next to  Mosquito Lagoon...not fancy stuff just traditional southern seafood.....BTW....Larry Csonka owns it...GL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for the info 55drum.  We stay south of the inlet in New Smyrna every summer and are always looking for a somewhere new to eat.  I'll def look this place up.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    try Captain Leon Somers (Central FL Fishing Charters) 386-215-2883. Not sure if he is available for the dates needed but he is pretty good!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    And I'm partial to a hole in the wall North of Daytona Beach in Ormond an A1A called Betty's. Diner style place with a feel like they've known ya for years.

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This trip is just me and my wife. Keep those ideas coming. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Blue Springs was a great suggestion. There are probably a dozen other fresh water springs within 2.5 hours of Daytona. As much as I like the beaches, I might like the springs more.

San Antonio, TX