Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg Paella today

Options
So I've done paella several ways - I have a large paella pan, and have done it in the oven, on the gas stove top with three burners going. And even over a fire pit fire at a friends. Live flame produces the best paella. Question about doing it on the Egg - I'm assuming it's best with the lid up over a live flame versus trying to bake it inside, correct?
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Paella on the BGE is great-don't know your BGE or pan size but around a 14" pan is the largest I can get on a LBGE.  All that said, here's a great paella primer for the BGE-
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm right up there with about the best a BGE can turn out.  
    Sure hope you can give it a BGE go.  Most eggcellent eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I've done paella exactly once.  It turned out great, but it's absolutely a full afternoon affair.  I also followed the nakedwhiz directions.  These are great and helped immensely.
    Kemah, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Most helpful part of the whiz write-up is on the fire building. Read it and read it again.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

+++ On the Naked Whiz.

My flight was cancelled today because of high winds, so I'm gonna take the afternoon to do a Paella as well.  I'm going to try the Black Squid Paella from Cassas Paella! book, assuming I can find the squid ink. 

Paella on the egg works well - do the sauté and mix the sofrito with the lid up.  Close the lid to finish once the broth is added.  I turn up the temp to around 400 at the end to enhance the soccarat.  As has been stated, the pan size will determine what you can do.  Larger pans may not allow you to close the dome.   

Santa Paula, CA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I don't close the lid on mine (mainly because I can't). It always turns out great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TOTN-bragging again... :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    lousubcap said:

Ok -paella went well-had a great even fire going, and that made for some quick cooking. I believe my pan is a 15" pan, and it's on the grid on top of a PSWoo2, on my large egg. I wasn't able to close the lid with the pan, but that's OK as I like it over the live fire better than baking it. Loved it, and the contained fire was much easier to deal with than a fire pit fire.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Dragonmatches-looks most eggcellent.  Great cook!