Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Gout

Options
I'm thinking it should just be re-named Big Green Egg disease. Right into another flareup and have beef jerky going followed by ribeyes for this evening. Great.
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Send me the rib-eyes and I will send you a salad.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    I had it. Get to a doctor and have them get you on allopurinol. It controls uric acid. My level was not that bad but my body is susceptible to gout. Had to cut back on the microbrews. instead of one a day I have maybe 1 a week. And drink more light beers instead.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I second this opinion.  I haven't had a flare-up since taking allopurinol and the blood tests confirmed the reduction in uric acid.
    I had it. Get to a doctor and have them get you on allopurinol. It controls uric acid. My level was not that bad but my body is susceptible to gout. Had to cut back on the microbrews. instead of one a day I have maybe 1 a week. And drink more light beers instead.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I just started allopurinol last week. Doc told me that acid levels may go up once more when I start before it started preventing. I don't think the last bout was ever completely healed. Here's hoping it starts working soon. Meanwhile, I am not doing without my ribeyes tonight so I guess I will have to improve the diet tomorrow.
    Columbus IN
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    The disease of kings
    Chester, MD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Been on allopurinol now for over 30 years. Early on another maintenance drug I was also taking actually increased the uric acid so it took a while for my doctor to get me to a balanced position. BTW it has been 24 years now since I had my last bout with gout so keep the faith and eat beef!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I prefer to pass on the meds and use black cherry juice. Also, 1/2 tsp baking soda in 8oz. water 4x daily.  Sure beats the pharmacy!  I regularly enjoy a morning "cocktail" of apple cider and honey in warm water and also take 2,000 mg Omega 3's daily.  Works like a charm and only use the juice and baking soda during a rare, flare-up.  Worthy of mention...  if you have hypertension, monitor your bp if you opt to try baking soda solution.  Bon appetit!!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Been on allopurinol for about 4 months now and it's business as usual: beer, bourbon, wine, red meat, etc.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I have issues with gout as well. It's been fine since going on allopurinol. I will warn you that for me it made things worse for several months before it started improving. Hang in there.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Rascal said:
    I prefer to pass on the meds and use black cherry juice. Also, 1/2 tsp baking soda in 8oz. water 4x daily.  Sure beats the pharmacy!  I regularly enjoy a morning "cocktail" of apple cider and honey in warm water and also take 2,000 mg Omega 3's daily.  Works like a charm and only use the juice and baking soda during a rare, flare-up.  Worthy of mention...  if you have hypertension, monitor your bp if you opt to try baking soda solution.  Bon appetit!!
    My wife is like that, she will do whatever it takes to avoid "medication".
    I on the other hand believe in better living through modern chemistry.
    Heck, if I had been born 150-200 years ago, most likely I would not have survived to see puberty.
    I may have died at 3 when I was hospitalized with my first asthma attack.  I know I wouldn't have survived my Acute Respiratory Failure that was almost 30 years ago without Modern Chemistry.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I'm not opposed to alternative medicine. In fact when this last bout started originally (4 weeks ago yesterday) I went the cherry juice route. I drank that **** like it was going out of style. Didn't touch it. I am willing to try the meds as I have had many tell me before today, and now even more so on the most knowledgeable forum out there, that it works. More importantly the rib-eyes and twice baked taters turned out pretty dang good!
    Columbus IN
  • legomyeggo
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I do not like the med but tried the black cherry juice,. I actually like it a lot. did not do the job for me. And, I do eat red meat but limit beers to a few a week, and we mix in chicken a lot between meals of beef or pork.

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I was diagnosed right after the Salado Fest, I blame the guys there....I'm sure I caught it from them.  All was going well, been popping the daily Allupurional, til the in-laws came this weekend....other than the occasional couple hour "twinge" I was humming along.  Then I cooked ribs, prime tenderloin, and scallops, with asparagus, green beans, broccoli and mushrooms, oh and bourbon.  Started on the cherry juice last night and woke this am with a marginal flare up.  

I have my first meeting with my new family doctor this Friday.   Glad to hear ya'll are all functioning.   I'm putting the TriTip on tomorrow....screw you gout...I do what I want (within reason now though...)  
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hang in there man. So glad you are still going.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jerryb78
    Options
    How are things going for you guys in this thread?  It took me quite a few years for my doctor to even figure out that I had gout because it wasn't an entirely typical presentation.  I wish that I hadn't waited so long to get the medication, but it's been working great for me.  I hope that it's helping you as well.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    It was a long road for me after I initially posted this. I am now taking the allopurinol but after 8 weeks of nonstop swolen painful toe, it took two shots of some steroid (starts with a D but I forget what it was called) directly to the big toe to finally clear it up. Now hopefully the preventative will do its job and back to red meat.
    Columbus IN
  • jerryb78
    Options
    Good to hear that you're on the mend.  Having been on allopurinol for a couple years now I can eat basically what I want with only occassional flare-ups.  (1-2 a year tops, and not as intense as they used to be)  The only thing that I try to avoid is having too much shellfish in a short timespan.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    I take my Allopurinol. Uric Acid levels in this had NEVER been out of normal range but "high normal" - I am just susceptible. No flare ups. That said, I did injure a tendon in my left foot doing cardio so it shows i am better off with some beer and pulled pork than on a treadmill....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Maybe it should be renamed BGE disease. I've worked in health care for quite a while and only come across it every once in a while. I don't know how many people belong to the forum, but after seeing the above post, I bet people with a BGE have a higher incidence of gout/BGE disease compared to the general population. Funny story. When I first went into the Army, there was a sergeant that was always trying to get out of pretty much everything. He would always complain about his toe. All the junior troops would crackup laughing when he started whining. Laughing at him was worth the push-ups. After about a year he found out it was gout and was put on allopurinol. After he found out there was a name for his sore toe, he upped the shamming. Even though we found out he actually had a condition the laughs continued and he became known as Sergeant Sore Toe. Years later, I realize it's no laughing matter. Anyway, do whatcha gotta do to get the uric acid levels down, just don't quit egging.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • legomyeggo
    Options
    Yeah - funny - I actually do not do a lot of pork. Do a bit of beef and more chicken. Maybe 3 beers a week. Shrimp will trigger it, My uric acid levels were never horrible but everyone is different. Had pasta tonight!!! LOL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Uloric rocks. Not a hint of a flare for 2 plus years. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokyArkie
    SmokyArkie Posts: 65
    Options
    I have been on Allopurinol for several years and it has really helped.  Even when I have a flare up it is on the nuisance level instead of the crisis level.  Good luck!