Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow guy, needs advice on 1st time Turbo Butt

Options
CAT Seller
CAT Seller Posts: 208
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have been a low and slow guy for 9 years, that was until I tired Turbo Ribs last weekend and they turned out great. This weekend I am trying my hand on Turbo Butt. I have a relatively small 6.5 lb butt in the fridge. From what I have read (mostly from Micky), indirect at 350 for about 5 hrs? I figured that I would let it go on the egg until it hits 200 internal. Is there anything that I am missing? Tips or tricks? Seems to simple. Thanks in advance
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• thailandjohn
    Options
    Question, do you pull and sauce or pull and no sauce?
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    @thailandjohn, I usually pull and sauce.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Start fire, rub, wait for nice smelling smoke, put butt on, wait bout 5hrs and eat. Start checking for that "buttah" feeling about 196 or so. You are correct on 350 indirect. My bet is after you turbo/nitro it you will never look back but look forward to all the sleep you will get at night instead of cooking at night. Good luck to ya.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did two 9.5 lb turbo pork butts last weekend on two different days. The first was for pulled and I took 7.5 hours running first at 350 for 4 hours then down to 300 to slow it down so it wouldn't be to early for dinner. The second I sliced and it only took about 6.5 hours. I did the same thing with the temps. My guess is I kept it at 350 the whole way it could have been done in 5.5 hours. If its done a little early, just FTC. I will never do pork butt low and slow again. They both came out wonderful. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Maybe it is my thermopen, but I let it go all the way to 205 for pulling after a long ftc. The point is, err high not low with internal temp.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    5 hours for a 6.5 pounder sounds a smiggen long. Just don't foil is my advice.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.