Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggneck Pizza

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Finally got to try pizza. After seeing tons of pizza pictures on the forum, my pizza craving had to be fulfilled. Went to the dealer and they were out of pizza stones, so I decided to just use the plate setter. Here's where the eggneck pizza idea came in handy. I was having a hard time figuring out how to get the pizza onto the egg. With no pizza peel, I had to get creative, so I used a cardboard pizza box top. I just put a little flour on it and the pizza slide right onto the egg. Used the same box top to get the pizza off. The only pic I got was with the pizza on the egg, couldn't mess around with pictures while sliding pizza onto the egg and chance my box catching on fire. Needed a GoPro strapped to my head to capture the moment. Anybody else have creative ways to do pizza without a peel? image
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I have a peel and even that does not always work as planned.
    Seattle, WA
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I had same problem, first one rolled up into a ball.  We then put the rolled out dough on the hot stone and put sauce, cheese and toppings on.  This worked and the next five were great.  But has to be a better way than firehouse rush over a hot stone!

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Use the underside of a cookie sheet. Sprinkle cornmeal, flour or preferably semolina on it before adding the dough. Some like parchment paper. I am not one of them. Build the pie on the paper and plop the whole thing on the stone. Usually recommended to pull the paper out after a couple of minutes to allow the crust to crisp, but some just leave it there. You could pull the paper and when the pie is done, just grab the crust and drag it onto a cookie sheet.

Peels are cheap. I've had mine for 30 years or so. Get a stone as soon as you can. Add spacers between the platesetter and the stone so you don't burn the pie.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Parchment Paper, or get a pizza pan from the dollar store.  A combination of both would work best.  You could do a PS and then something to raise the pizza up like 3 empty soup cans, 3 bricks, or a deep baking pan (also from the dollar store) and set the round pizza pan on top and you would be in business.  Not as glamorous or romantic as a stone, but will work fantastic, is cheap, and will be much easier on your prep-

Seldom do I worry about the bottom of my pizza not getting cooked enough. When you figure out the balance of heat in the dome so your tops are done to your liking, chances are the bottom will follow-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• stemc33
    Options
    These are good ideas. Eventually I plan on getting a stone and a peel.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Where in WY are you?  I'm in Scottsbluff, NE.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• stemc33
    Options

Where in WY are you?  I'm in Scottsbluff, NE.

Sheridan

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming