Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Question

3Mdawg41
3Mdawg41 Posts: 27
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
What size gasket do you guys recommend 5/8 or 3/8? Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2014
    5/8 flat braided. Also what size egg?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Interesting.  I've noticed a lot of you on this forum seem to swear by using a Rutland Gasket.  I decided to google it to find out exactly what it was.  In my mind I was expecting it to be a braided steel gasket for great durability.  But I found this website that shows how to put the gasket on the BGE and was surprised to read this little notice:

"Disclaimer: Many people have used this product and this procedure to replace the gasket on their Big Green Egg. However, we wanted you to be aware that BGE contacted Rutland and asked about the safety of using a fiberglass product around food. Rutland said that their fiberglass gasket should not be used around food. Note, however, that the gasket is only used on the bottom shell, and therefore is never being placed above the food. Also note that Kamado uses a woven ceramic fiber for their gaskets with no problems, even though ceramic fibers can be just a big a concern as fiberglass. Use your own judgement as to how you feel about this warning from Rutland"

Well, that pretty much cemented it my mind that if/when my felt gasket on my BGE needs replacing, it will be getting the OEM gasket re-installed. Unless something better comes along that doesn't have the manufacturer of the product recommending their product not be used in the fashion I want to use it in.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    I certainly respect your decision, but for people who wish to read the entire report and then make up their own mind may I suggest this well written piece. The argument has been made many times that in this society there are sue happy people and the manufacturer of Rutland chose to not fight the battle considering how little sales revenue they may derive from these gasket sales. Here is the whole read!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just so you'll know, this is not news. Every day, something new is gonna kill us. I read something just today that said cinnamon could damage my liver. Cinnamon!! Grilled food contains carcinogens too. Guess we should just go hide in the closet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    You are exactly right Ron people need to make up there own mind. I work in the court system a you can't believe the frivolous crap in the system.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @RRP I'm with you, lots of things that will kill me, I highly doubt that my Rutland from you will be one of them.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Yeah, but at least will die happy eggin.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • RRP
    3Mdawg41 said:
    Medium Egg

Then all you need is 6 feet...not the 7 that comes in a kit from Ace or Amazon. And besides you will throw away the adhesive that comes in the kit! Gosh... I wonder why I know all that? LOL
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Just so you'll know, this is not news. Every day, something new is gonna kill us. I read something just today that said cinnamon could damage my liver. Cinnamon!! Grilled food contains carcinogens too. Guess we should just go hide in the closet.
    L-) Wait a minute.....
    No... don't hide. Just let the government "Do Gooders" tell you/us how we need to live!!
    After all... we're all a bunch of uneducated, ill-informed people who have been misled by evil capitalist who are only interested in making profit with no concern for our safety. We all must trust our elected officials, because they are committed to insuring we all have a fair shot. :^o
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    haven't you heard, closets now give you cancer, guess we are boned no matter what we do
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    i listened to @rrp and he sent me the gasket and its been the best. he has probably shipped about 1500 by now. I would sat that makes him the rutland expert. Sells them at cost, ships super fast. doesn't get any better. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If you have a ceramic cooker no matter which one the rutland gasket is the best money you will ever spend period. I do feel that people should try to take care of themselves and avoid potentially hazardous products and substances. But that being said the world that we live in now the very air, food and water that we must consume is more deadly than a nuclear blast. I feel and this is only my opinion that the food we buy now is far more harmful than the way or what we use to cook it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    As someone has said on the forum before.."I am wishing my felt gasket will blow, so I can buy a Rutland'...
    <:-P
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    RRP please send me your email addy! jupiterjim@outlook.com :)

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Zmokin
    As someone has said on the forum before.."I am wishing my felt gasket will blow, so I can buy a Rutland'...
    This, I really don't understand.  Can someone explain to me how the Rutland gasket can be so much better than a perfectly functioning felt gasket?  It's a gasket, it's job is to seal.  I can see if the felt was to repeatedly fail, and the Rutland lasts forever, why people would want to change, but I don't see my felt gasket failing anytime soon and I see no reason why I should "fix" something that doesn't need fixing.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Zmokin said:
    This, I really don't understand.  Can someone explain to me how the Rutland gasket can be so much better than a perfectly functioning felt gasket?  It's a gasket, it's job is to seal.  I can see if the felt was to repeatedly fail, and the Rutland lasts forever, why people would want to change, but I don't see my felt gasket failing anytime soon and I see no reason why I should "fix" something that doesn't need fixing.

I agree. But I'm on my third felt because I either forgot to damp it back soon enough and got to high temps or just burnt it up after a lot of use. I'm going to Rutlands but I wouldn't screw up a perfectly functioning gasket just to change. I'm impressed you haven't burnt it up yet. You obviously drink less when egging than I do.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    My original gasket turned into an unrecognizable bunch of solidified goo after doing a couple of pizzas and a clean burn. I agree that I would not change a good one for the sake of change, but I believe you can be sure the felt will fail eventually even with normal use and time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    I'm considering ordering the Rutland gasket, just to have it on hand, when I need it. Down time is not an option. B-)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    My felt gasket failed after a few months. I went without for awhile but at the expense of losing lump at shut-down as I had too much air leakage. Secured a nomex replacement from the mothership and installed it on the bottom only. Was working great until I realized that I had cooked that one too sometime last winter probably during a long multi-pizza party I had. Not going to put the other half of the nomex on. Need a rutland. @RRP how do I get one from you? Have a large.
  • Zmokin
    gmac said:
    I agree. But I'm on my third felt because I either forgot to damp it back soon enough and got to high temps or just burnt it up after a lot of use. I'm going to Rutlands but I wouldn't screw up a perfectly functioning gasket just to change. I'm impressed you haven't burnt it up yet. You obviously drink less when egging than I do.
    Well, one, I'm not a daily or even weekly Egger.  Two, I've rarely had my Egg over 400 F.

And most of my cooks are indirect with a plate setter.

I imagine all of these will help contribute to the life of my felt gasket.

• @rrp I'm in need of a gasket. From above looks like u sell them? Please send any info to epeterson2@me.com. I have xl that I've managed to blow in a month. Thx!
  • RRP
    Zaltydog & Chesehead in AZ

Hey guys I have sent you both emails - if you haven't gotten them look in your spam file. Any others who don't want to post your email address on this open forum then just send me a PM and we can hook up that way.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have Rutland's on four of my five.  Can't tell you the last time I cooked anything on my gasket.  Guess I like living on the edge.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Zmokin said:
    Many people (including me) will remove their crappy original gasket the day they purchase their new egg.  It's easier to get it off that way.  It's coming off anyway and why not just get it over with and put one on (Rutland) that lasts a lifetime? 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have Rutland from @RRP on my large, going on six months.
    When my mini burns it's factory gasket (soon now), I'll be right after Ron for a Rutland for it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I just got my warranty replacement base a couple of weeks ago. I had a Rutland on my base that cracked. I took the new felt off and put on a Rutland before I put my egg back together. Rutland gaskets work great and I didn't want to take the egg back apart when the felt one failed. It was a lot easier to get off since it had never been cooked on too. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    minniemoh said:
    I didn't want to take the egg back apart when the felt one failed.
    Just to clarify, you don't have to. I raised the dome of mine, scraped the old felt off and installed the Rutland on the base only. Never loosened or disassembled anything.

That said, good idea on doing it up front. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @Carolina Q - I have installed four Rutland gaskets and on the first three, I had a very hard time getting the old one scraped off clean enough to suit me so I ended up taking them apart. On those installs, I did have to get it off the dome too.  I'm a little OCD when it comes to my egg so that's probably the bigger reason.   :D
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!