Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket

Options
I've had my large egg for a year now and have had some good success with pulled pork, ribs, chicken but had never tried to do a brisket. I did a lot of research on methods and temp etc and finally took the plunge. My lovely wife purchased a packer brisket from Snake River Farms for me as a Christmas present. My method which is borrowed mostly from tips posted on YouTube by Aaron Franklin is as follows: Temp 250F using a Digi Q BGE charcoal, 4 oak chunks Rub: 50% kosher salt and 50% black pepper Brisket weight before trimming 12.5# Total cook time 13 hours I used a pan under to brisket on top of the plate setter with water to maintain moisture and after 8 hours placed some parchment paper under it. I had read Aaron wraps his brisket when almost done in butcher paper instead of foil to prevent moisture loss and also prevent the bark from falling apart in foil. . I couldn't find butcher paper locally so I added some parchment paper on the bottom and top and closed the lid again. Pulled from egg at 203F It was delicious! Very juicy! The fat just melted in your mouth! I have some leftovers and am looking forward to a brisket sandwich tomorrow!

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Looks really good.  Great job on your first try.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    That is the exact method I am going to try. Glad to know that it worked well for you. You can purchase the same paper that Aaron uses from ABCO in TX. I have roll that should last me a lifetime.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    You crushed it.  That's an impressive brisket.
    XL Owner
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @alex_a-  you may have won brisket lottery..."My lovely wife purchased a packer brisket from Snake River Farms for me as a Christmas present."  Oh, to be so lucky.  
    After recovering from that great statement-glad it was all you eggspected it to be.  Some day I'm gonna spring for one of those SRF hunks of beef!

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.