Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Burgers!

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I ground some thin cut ribeyes that were on sale into hamburgers.Rubbed with DP Red Eye Express and cooked raised direct 400*.  Put some spinach, goat cheese, pickled red onions and ranch dressing on it.Yum yum yum...imageimage
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes please!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I was going to nominate you for castration for defiling fine ribeyes like that, until I reread and understood that they were thin, and that you thereby did them (and yourself, and indirectly the rest of us) a favor. Nicely done

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• jls9595
    Options
    Thanks. 4 thin cut and 4 "utility" ribeyes. I think better as burgers than steaks.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I always wondered what to do with those crappy ribeyes (other than a quick breakfast steak).

Genius!
    NOLA
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    "utility". Makes "select" seem like choice.

Good move.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @cazzy did some awhile ago, his good wife was trying to help and made some less than stellar meat purchases. Rib roast, utility, makes great burgers, like brisket has kinda built in 80/20 ratio of meat to fat. 
    @jls9595 nice looking burger, but to add something we all want to hear, your buns are too small. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jls9595
    Options

"utility". Makes "select" seem like choice.

Good move.

Yep. But still good as a burger. I haven't seen "utility" in this store before today. Figured it was burger night.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hey guys...one of my wife's favorite meals that I have made for us for years are those thin rib eyes quickly pan fried in butter with fresh ground pepper and garlic salt. I serve them on buttered whole wheat toast with her's having the crust trimmed off. Trust me...that is no wimpy *ss meal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jls9595
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @cazzy did some awhile ago, his good wife was trying to help and made some less than stellar meat purchases. Rib roast, utility, makes great burgers, like brisket has kinda built in 80/20 ratio of meat to fat. 
    @jls9595 nice looking burger, but to add something we all want to hear, your buns are too small. 

I like it that way...on hamburgers at least...
    :D

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I wouldn't walk away from that plate.... Try a small brisket next time, it was some of the best burgers I have ever had.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    Options
    I wouldn't walk away from that plate.... Try a small brisket next time, it was some of the best burgers I have ever had.
    I have planned on grinding a brisket for a while now but haven't gotten around to it yet. Will do soon...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You won't be sorry. My was about a 4lb flat which made a bunch O burgers. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Fish Sauce to awaken the Unami taste a bit.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    Options
    You won't be sorry. My was about a 4lb flat which made a bunch O burgers. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Fish Sauce to awaken the Unami taste a bit.

hmm I have some of that, will try. thanks
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Looks delish

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Fantastic cook! Love grinding thin steaks (of any kind) for burgers. Next time maybe grind a few of those ribeyes, with some brisket. Yumm! :)
  • jls9595
    Options
    I bought a brisket at wally world today for that very purpose! 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!