Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night=Pizza Night!

Options
Well, my eldest was at the prom so it was just us three. My youngest loves plain old Pepperoni pizza but I had to change it up a bit. The second pie was Chorizo (fried, drained and crumbled), Mozzerella and a sprinkling of cheddar/MJack blend. I used store-brought dough so I kept the temp down to 475 degrees for about 13 minutes. The pics are "meh" but the taste was great. A great way to start the weekend!
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Agree. Great way to start the weekend.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Great job...what's your setup here, plate setter? Legs up or down? Pizza stone?
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Nice, Chorizo sounds really good, I might try that next time. We also do pizza night every Friday.image
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

@Cul-de-sac-er: PS legs down, used the ceramic feet to prop up the pizza stone further. I pre-heated the stone in the oven at 450 for 1hr prior to lighting the coals to speed up getting dinner on. My natives get restless if chow isn't served on time. :-)

@Dagriller: That's a very round pizza. Unfortunately, I'm still making pizzas that look like a 5th grader did it.

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cymbaline, your pies look great! And round is just a shape, not a taste. :) However, it is very easy to make round pies. If you start with a round dough ball and let the ball sit out on the counter (covered) for a couple of hours before flattening and shaping the pizza. These two videos were very helpful to me. I haven't had a 5th grade pizza since I learned to make round dough balls! :)

Form the ball as shown here. Then place it in a proofing tray (I use a Glad storage container, one per dough ball) and into the fridge. 

It's important to let it warm up before trying to flatten and stretch the dough. If you don't , it will spring back as you are attempting to stretch it to shape. I take mine out of the fridge two hours before showtime.

After it warms, this is more or less how I shape the pie. 

You can stop watching when you get to the rolling pin part. That is an alternative of course, but I prefer hand shaped. For me, rolling pins are for apple pies, not pizza pies. Tony's better and faster at it than I am. Ha! I haven't quite mastered the turning/stretching on the counter method yet. I press it out with my fingertips, forming the edge as he demonstrates, and then mostly do the back of the hand/knuckle method to finish. But my pies are always perfectly round...

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Michael. My crust kept springing back even though it sat out for 3 hours. I found that gravity works well. Hold one end of the circle, let it stretch and move a few inches further. I'll definitely try your approach.