Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ISO: DRY RUB RECIPIES????????????

I don't know if it is in here, but I would like to get some fresh ideas for dry rubs.  If you have a good dry rub recipe you are willing to share please do.  I have been using the Bobby Flay's Rib Rub for the past two years.  Don't get me wrong I love it on everything but I want to add some variety to my palate.  If you have never tried his on ribs, chicken or salmon, I highly recommend it.

1 tablespoon     cumin
1 tablespoon     paprika
1 tablespoon     granulated garlic
1 tablespoon     granulated onion
1 tablespoon     chili powder
1 tablespoon     brown sugar
2 tablespoons   kosher salt
1 teaspoon       cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon       black pepper
1 teaspoon       white pepper

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2014

Search for Mickey's coffee rub.  It is great IMHO on all but fish.  Here is a link to my original Kona Koffee that has been played with over the years.  Think Mickey has it down pat.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=750628&catid=1

Another variation:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=939273&catid=1

Most current:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1210750&catid=1
    :

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2014
    My go-to rub for years has been Emeril's Rustic Rub.  I grabbed it from one of his early cookbooks, Real & Rustic (great recipes with mostly simple ingredients you have on hand).  Here it is and a link to it;

NOTE - I use half the salt noted, or less, and just add more if I think it's needed. 

Ingredients

• 8 tablespoons paprika
    • 3 tablespoons cayenne
    • 5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    • 6 tablespoons garlic powder
    • 3 tablespoons onion powder
    • 6 tablespoons salt
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

Directions

• Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Can be stored in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.

http://www.emerils.com/120481/rustic-rub

Good thread, thanks for starting it!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Salt and Pepper!

Sounds too good to be true, but give simple salt and pepper a try...  More pepper than salt, or 50/50 by weight.  I'm sold.  I used to make ten ingredient rubs and now, if anything, I only add a little garlic or substitute garlic salt for the kosher...

Best taste I've had, frankly..

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    +1 on what @MaskedMarvel‌ said in regards to kosher salt and coarse pepper. I do have a few good rub recipes and will occasionally use them. But, sometimes simplicity is best. @cazzy & @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ opened my eyes to going back to my BBQ roots on rubs (S&P).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Do you guys ever keep it that simple on a brisket as well?

It seems everyone here does the mustard rub covered in a dry rub.   Do I need the "bark" to keep the moisture in a brisket or can I just run it with S&P?

LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    KiterTodd said:

Do you guys ever keep it that simple on a brisket as well?

It seems everyone here does the mustard rub covered in a dry rub.   Do I need the "bark" to keep the moisture in a brisket or can I just run it with S&P?

You can just do S&P. Mustard isn't needed. I never use it. To get more rub on, I sprinkle, wait a bit until the salt in the rub pulls moisture out and turns it into a paste, then repeat. I guess with mustard you can get more to stick faster.
  • MGBBob80
    MGBBob80 Posts: 20
    I have used the "Renowned Mr. Brown" on pork shoulders for years with great results. That being said, I am intrigued with the back to basics S&P.  Yep - this weekend!  Cheers, Bob
    I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    I have been using Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground pepper with some garlic powder on most things for years.  This simple "rub" goes well with beef, pork, chicken and fish.  Always get rave reviews.  Ribs and Butts I have used more exotic rubs.  Have to give the old standard a try for my next rack of ribs.
    Long Island, NY
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's my recipe for espresso-cocoa rub. I've used it on just about everything.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Alton Brown from the food network does a 8:3:1:1 recipe that is great. 8 parts brown sugar to 3 parts kosher salt to 1 part chili (or Chile if u prefer) to 1 part "other". The other you make up. All the spices just have to add up to another part. Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika smoked or otherwise, cumin, old bay, thyme, oregano, cilantro (all dried), pepper. . . sky's the limit. This is a fun one to play with.

Anything can be the "part" a tablespoon is a good base that doesn't make too much.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    edited April 2014
    This one is great for Ribs
    • 3/4c Paprika
    • 1/2c White Sugar
    • 1/4c Granulated Garlic
    • 1/8c Brown Sugar
    • 2 tbsp. Chili Powder
    • 2 tbsp. Salt
    • 1 tbsp. Cayenne
    • 1 tbsp. Cumin
    • 1 tbsp. Black Pepper
    • 2 tsp. Oregano
    • 2 tsp. Onion Powder
    • 1 tsp. Thyme
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • this is one I use as an all purpose rub

• 1/2c Paprika
    • 1/4c Brown Sugar
    • 1/4c White Sugar
    • 1/4c Granulated Garlic
    • 2 tbs Onion Powder
    • 2 tbs Sea or Kosher Salt
    • 1 tbs Black Pepper
    • 1 tbs Chili Powder
    • 1 tbs Oregano
    • 2 tsp Cayenne

Gordon
    South Florida
  • Thank you for all the great suggestions I cant wait to start trying them out!

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL