Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there any authorized dealers that I could get a few tips from

Options
Hi I am new to the big green egg community. I got my large big green egg two weeks ago and loved it. I was thinking this would be job that I love if I become a authorized dealer all I need is a store and sell just big green egg and accessories. I wanted to know if it is a good money making business and about how much does it cost to get started? 

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I've never seen a BGE only store, usually find them as part of the lineup in Ace Hardwares or other stores. But heck, every all around here has a Traeger sales kiosk/store init and they pump a lot of product through them so maybe you could explore that as a new distribution method.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    I will also add in a related comment. BGE seems to be drastically increasing their number of dealers. In my area the number of dealers has doubled from a dozen to 2 dozen in about a year. IMHO this is perhaps overkill. The BGE is not an impulse buy where you just walk in and buy one. You need help and support from your dealer both before and after the sale. If the amount of dealers exceeds the amount of potential sales, this is not a good situation for anyone.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    They need to keep a better eye on which dealers actively promote them.  I have two dealers in my area and neither has a clue about product specs, cooking on them, etc.  I think a little promotion and some Saturday demo cooks in front of their stores would surprise them with positive results.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I work next to an Ace Hardware dealer. Our county (Henry) has over 220,000 people and we only have 2 egg dealers. This Ace probably sells one every 6-8 weeks. Like @jfm0830‌ said, it's not an impulse buy (unless it's demo day once a year then they sell 3-4 that day).

So I don't think a "stand-alone" BGE store would be as profitable as you think. But hey, I would come and hang out there. Probably buy lump there if you carried Rockwood or OO. My buddy and I can be your Jay and Silent Bob that hangs out by your front door.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2014
    Options
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    They need to keep a better eye on which dealers actively promote them.  I have two dealers in my area and neither has a clue about product specs, cooking on them, etc.  I think a little promotion and some Saturday demo cooks in front of their stores would surprise them with positive results.

Mike
    My local dealer here (population of 700K) yes we only have 1, is useless. I know waaaaay more about the product when I have gone in there. Now when I need something egg related I try to source it by buying non BGE branded or make myself or Ill wait and put in a order and ship it to the border and pick it up on a weekend excursion to the US. They never have events to promote the BGE brand, but they do set up a a tent at the inaugural BBQ fest here last year. Woweee.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Here in sunny SoCal there are few dealers, especially as you get out of the major metropolitan areas. There appears to be only one distributor, and they seem to only sell to major BBQ/Fireplace chains.  The number of BGE dealers here is shrinking.  Prices seem to be very tightly controlled by the chains - virtually never see Eggs marked down from list.  That makes buying an Egg a very costly proposition.  I was looking at buying a Medium, but by the time it was all said and done, it would cost almost $1,000.  That's about what I paid for my XL, including nest, mates, and other extras a little over a year ago.  Of course that dealer no longer sells BGE.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Don't know for sure, but I do not think any dealer/retailer buys direct from BGE. They have a somewhat regional distributor set-up. The distributors beat the bushes looking for retail dealers. I think that's why you see so many less than knowledgable dealers. It is the business model BGE chooses. 
    Like California, Canada has (I think) a single distributor in Toronto. BGE products for the Vancouver market could be handled by the Seattle distributor with much better pricing to the consumer. That doesn't happen. I know at least 6 other egg owners, none bought in Canada. We all cross border shopped and in some cases even paying tax twice, the price is much less than the Canadian dealer price. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    The guy I bought my BGE from the guy that says he sales 10 a day 15 on weekends in the spring and summer so that's why I thought it would be a good business. He does offer a package deal. I think I saved about $150 on my large BGE. I thought that BGE mother ship would make you buy a bunch of stuff but I did not know it would be $25k.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    The guy I bought my BGE from the guy that says he sales 10 a day 15 on weekends in the spring and summer so that's why I thought it would be a good business. 

BS

Pensacola,FL
  • PORTERSGIRL
    Options

I would agree with most the Egg is wonderful but staff and owners must think so! The ceramic grill market isn't huge.  if you want to sell eggs I would absolutely make it an all in one stop grill shop! People are more likely to stop for eggcessories+ pellets, charcoal, sauces rubs other grills ect. good luck! As for what to invest my recommendation would be if you walk into a store and the Egg "looks" like a big deal, it is a big deal! Stock lots....show lots!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    The guy I bought my BGE from the guy that says he sales 10 a day 15 on weekends in the spring and summer so that's why I thought it would be a good business. He does offer a package deal. I think I saved about $150 on my large BGE. I thought that BGE mother ship would make you buy a bunch of stuff but I did not know it would be $25k.

So he sells 65 a week? $3.5 million a year in sales.

I agree with @Whaler, BS. Wipe your shoes when you go inside.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    Thats what I thought but the BGE truck was in the parking lot making a delivery.