Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frustration

After dealing with a cart fire, a cracked base, and a recalcitrant dealer, I'm just about over the BGE experience. This is the frustration talking, but I was figuratively ready to haul it to the curb today. No projection on when I will ever get a replacement base. However, BGE mother ship was GREAT to deal with. The local infrastructure, not so much.
Kemah, TX

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    FWIW - I'd be sure the Mothership is aware of the frustration your having with THEIR Dealer.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    How long have you had your egg? Where are you located? Is there another dealer nearby you can work with? What is the dealer being uncooperative about? Sorry your having this sour experience.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I've had my Egg about 2.5 years, I think. The dealer where I bought it was fantastic, but unfortunately, he went out of business. The current dealer says I can pay $120 freight or wait for an undisclosed time until he makes another order. The "broker" who called me back (not sure his role, but he seems to be a middle man between the distributor and the dealer) says he will look for a dealer who's about to make an order. Meanwhile , I'm in limbo. Yes, a call to the home office is on tomorrow's agenda.
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    BTW, the dealer claims that he only deals with the distributor, never with home office. I will try to set up that meeting.
    Kemah, TX
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Sheesh... I feel your frustration.
    I had an issue with the spark screen door. Went to the dealer it was purchased from. They said call the Mothership. I emailed Customer Service and had a spark screen in my hands within 7 days. Warranty replacement, no questions asked.
    But... granted... it wasn't a cracked base.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Where are you located? Perhaps someone here lives near you and can make a recommendation. The mothership has "tiers" of dealers so see if any "goldstar" ones are nearby.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Sorry to hear this. Stick it out if you can bear it - odds are things will only get better.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Always been the BGE issue. The main office seems to be fantastic. The dealers/retailers need $10 and a heartbeat to get stock. The distributors are mostly indifferent. My retailer in Bellingham WA is fantastic. Great people - typical high turnover, but always there and I am cross bordering, so they basically could have taken my money and then kissed my goodbye. 
    Hope it works out for you, it may be worth a drive to another dealer who cares - looking for future business. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    It's standard they went ship the unit until another shipment. The dealership will only send cheap stuff, like gaskets, any ceramic part will be added to a pallet, or you can post freight.

It's reasonable.
  • NPHuskerFL
    If this is a smaller dealer unfortunately I believe there IS a minimum order requirement. This sounds like that sort of situation. Hopefully they can get this thing expedited for you.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I had a similar situation last year with a cracked base. The dealer I bought from went out of business so I went to another dealer. He was upfront with about my options. I could wait for a stock order (which was going to be mid summer), pay the $120 or he had another customer who needed parts and we could split the freight. I opted for splitting with the other guy. I thought that was pretty solid on the dealers part to put that together. Maybe can approach your dealer and ask if others need parts and split the freight?
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Sorry about your experience and I hope it works out.

I had a cracked bowl a year ago or so and sent pics to my dealer (down the street ~ 1/2 mile) who then told me that they didn't have me in their system and there was nothing they could do unless I could produce the receipt - from 2009!  I then had to go back through all our our credit card statements dating back 4 years to show them that I had at least made a $1K purchase from their store, although it didn't show the item.  After that, they reluctantly decided to discuss it with the local distributor and I was told he was "willing" to help me out and replace it since he had an extra.  I was "lucky" that they decided to "help" me.  (I guess that warranty contract that came with the Egg was just paper?)

It was replaced, but after that experience, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth about the vaunted warrantee.  It seems like the dealers run from having to honor it and BGE's unique position in the ceramic grill world took a hit in my mind.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    cssmd27 said:
    Sorry about your experience and I hope it works out.

I had a cracked bowl a year ago or so and sent pics to my dealer (down the street ~ 1/2 mile) who then told me that they didn't have me in their system and there was nothing they could do unless I could produce the receipt - from 2009!  I then had to go back through all our our credit card statements dating back 4 years to show them that I had at least made a $1K purchase from their store, although it didn't show the item.  After that, they reluctantly decided to discuss it with the local distributor and I was told he was "willing" to help me out and replace it since he had an extra.  I was "lucky" that they decided to "help" me.  (I guess that warranty contract that came with the Egg was just paper?)

It was replaced, but after that experience, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth about the vaunted warrantee.  It seems like the dealers run from having to honor it and BGE's unique position in the ceramic grill world took a hit in my mind.
    Well, the BGE warranty is only good for the original purchaser, so it's not unreasonable for the dealer or distributor to ask you to demonstrate that you are the original purchaser.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jllbms
    LOL, I did say figuratively! Still in limbo, but maybe the distributor rep will call me back with an option. I did get to have a long discussion with HQ about how the dealer treats the customers.
    Kemah, TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Post the dealer's name so that anyone in your area can avoid doing business with them.  Social Media can make a big impact.  If you've given them every chance to do the right thing and they refuse, for me it's time to drop the gloves!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • jllbms
    I'm going to hold with what I've done so far. The dealer can factually claim that they did what they were required to do. But they haven't made it easy and won't commit to any date, whatsoever.
    Kemah, TX
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    jllbms said:
    I'm going to hold with what I've done so far. The dealer can factually claim that they did what they were required to do. But they haven't made it easy and won't commit to any date, whatsoever.
    I can respect that.  Do what you feel is right and it takes an awful lot for me to get to that point but once in a while someone pushes me hard enough.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @jllbms‌...they likely can't commit to a date because they don't have the minimum order placed yet. If they offered you to pay shipping that will be your fastest method. I get the frustration but, it sounds like you are dealing with a low volume dealer. Hell it could be mid summer before you see it. No thanks I'd pay the shipping personally (wouldn't be to stoked about it but, ya gotta do watcha got do).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The "pay for shipping to get it now or wait until I get a regular shipment" thing is pretty standard, FWIW.  The warranty doesn't cover shipping, so that's the way it is.  My dealer seems to get things in fairly frequently.  But then he is one store out of a chain of at least 4, so they get their shipments to a central location and then deliver it out to the stores themselves, I think.  So they probably get four times the number of shipments of a guy with a single store.
    The Naked Whiz
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    How bad is the cracked base? Is it still usable? I got a crack in mine but it's still usable. I was fortunate to have it in less than a week, but I still have it in the box unopened for the last 3 weeks or so. Point is, can you still use it till the next order?
    Dunedin, FL
  • jllbms
    Yes I'm still using it, but I want to move on with my project of eliminating my part-burned wooden cart. I could let it run its course, but F it, I shouldn't have to. Let's face it, paying a grand for a grill is luxury territory and should have luxury service. But, as I said BGE corp is terrific!
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    No joy from the local dealer, but I got a call from the distributor today. Would I be willing to drive to Covington LA (maybe 70 miles away)? Hells, yeah! Could be as early as next week!
    Kemah, TX