Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alaskan king crab stuffed hot smoked snook w/brussel sprouts

Options
SWMBO has been bugging and bugging me to do some fish on the egg (aside from hot smoked salmon) so l I finally buckled the other night. I thawed out a nice snook fillet and while I was doing that remembered I had a few good pieces of king crab leg in the fridge from the night before which gave me an idea. Once the snook was thawed I sliced into the side of it and made a nice pocket. Then i removed the crab meat from the shell and mixed it with just enough mayo to keep it together and stuffed it into the snook. Then I coated the snook with some old bay. I put a bunch of apple and cherry in the egg (she said she wanted it really smoky...) Indirect, placesetter, snook on aluminium foil on the grate. Did it around 300. It took a bit since the fillet was nice and thick and now stuffed. Pulled at 145. 
For a side I halved brussel sprouts and drizzled with olive oil S&P and baked it in my convection. As they were baking and the snook was smoking I took a handful of bacon I'd cut up and threw it in a pan with spicy mustard, chipotle olive oil, two tbsp of bacon grease and maybe a cup or two of dry white wine, I simmered that down and then tossed the sprouts in there when they were done cooking. here are the results:

Overall I was happy with how everything came out. I will definitely use less wood next time, but it wasn't WAY too smokey, just a little bit. SWMBO was thrilled with the results. :) I've still got a few lbs of snook and king crab in the freezer so I'll surely be doing it again. 
Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
"I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No snook here in FL but, that definitely gives me some ideas for local catches here. Not sure where you're located but, I sorta remember having some sort of stuffed Walleye when I lived in NE. Did you eat as seen or any dipping sauce (not that you needed any) ? Looks real good. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    That looks incrediable.  Great job!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice looking plate. Both the fish and sprouts sound excellent. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    No snook here in FL 

Really, where in FL are you? I'm in Englewood (down near Sarasota) and we've got tons of them. 
    We ate it as plated (actually took slices to eat, it was actually much larger than it looks in the pics) Between the old bay and the smokiness, not to mention the chunks of sweet crab meat it really didn't need any.  If I were to choose a sauce for it I'd probably go with a spicy yum yum sauce. 
    Thanks for your kind words guys. I'm already looking forward to making it again. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Helmet‌...I should've phrased differently. "I've" never caught them. I mainly fish ocean on Atlantic side (We mostly pier and surf fish in St Augustine and some in Jax and we also like fishing out of the St Johns River). We do pretty good with Whitting, Flounder, Reds, Black Drum, Blacktip Shark, Croaker, Blues (we don't particularly care for Blues though), Pompano (which is one of my personal favorites), occasionally Cobia etc etc. But, haven't personally caught Snook. I have eaten Snook and had it blackened at a Mom and Pop restaurant in Palatka I wanna say (was delicious).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    That looks amazing!  I have never heard of Snook, what's it like?

Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Ahh gotcha @NPHuskerFL ;)
    I really like doing cobia chunked up on a skewer with a hunk of cobia, hunk of pineapple, hunk of cobia for the whole skewer. I do season the cobia a bit though, then throw it on the grill. It's a great combo. On the reds I've become a huge fan of stuffing them with Publix crabmeat and making pinwheels out of them, I outlined it in this post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1487729#Comment_1487729
    I'd imagine the flounder would be good like that also.
    @DawnL - it's a very nice, mild, white meat. You just have to remove the skin before cooking it. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice cook!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Helmet‌...now to find some time to hit the surf :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks and sounds wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks great. Nice cook.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Sweet! And smokey! :-)

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating