Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New egghead from WI

Hi everyone,
I'm a new BGE owner checking in from Appleton, WI which is not too far from Green bay.  I spent the last year waffling about the purchase because we were thinking about moving since the last thing you want to have to move is something that's large, heavy, fragile, AND expensive.  We've decided to stay where we're at, so I'm now the proud owner of an egg + table.  I would've liked to make my own, but given a limited amount of time I'd much rather spend it learning to cook than honing my mediocre carpentry skills.

Anyway, I've used it twice so far.  The first cook was spare ribs that roughly followed the recipe from amazingribs.com.  I set my expectations pretty low considering that it was my first time using a new piece of equipment, but they turned out spectactular.  I let the egg get a little too hot right out of the gate so it took me some time to cool it down and get it stabilized, but once it got where I wanted it (250ish) it mostly stayed there with very minor adjustments.  Overall I was very satisified with the experience and the result.  Did some chickn thighs on the spur of the moment as well and they were another win.

I'm planning my first pork shoulder for some time this week.  All I was able to get at the store was a picnic shoulder which was a little disappointing.  I'll have to check someplace else to get a butt next time, but if nothing else it'll give me a baseline for comparison.  Thanks everyone for all of the info that you've posted here.  I've been lurking the last few weeks and found it all extremely helpful.
LBGE
Menasha, WI

Comments