Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezer Aged Rib-Eye

Options
SUCKS. The wife bought me some steaks from Harris Ranch a few years ago and I let one get buried and didn't find it till this weekend. Thought I hit the jackpot......till I cooked it. I just tasted gross like a cheap $5 steak from the supermarket. Whats the longest a steaks good for in the freezer vacuum sealed or in paper?
Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
Orange, CA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2014
    Options
    According to this Food Saver link they say 2 to 3 years, but personally I know I have gone freezer diving myself and found and eaten beef older that that. I believe once frozen then there isn't deteriation unless there is a problem with the frost free cycles getting too warm so some thawing and then re-freezing occurs. Let me try to attach a link...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Quality is the issue for freezing. If you vacuum sealed, and the seal held, it should remain in good shape for a number of years.

It's not possible for it to become dangerous in a food safety sense, just for quality to degrade: freezer burn, off flavors, oxidation.

When I vacuum seal high grade stuff, I admit to an OCD complex and seal it once, then again in another bag. I have found the seal has failed on a couple steaks before.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have never been able to let a Bone In Ribeye stay in the freezer that long. I have a better half that monitors the freezers and keeps track of that stuff.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    +1 as long as the vacuum seal is 100% air tight it should be fine for at least 1-3 yrs possibly longer. But, a steak ain't gonna last that long around my pad. I'm gonna gobble that joker up! The longest I've held onto meat was a set of beef and spare pork ribs and they were in there 2 yrs with no problem. I also find it helpful to label and date with a sharpie if you freeze meat in vacuum bags with the intention of rotation eating from the freezer so you can take say oldest vs most recently frozen if that makes any sense to ya.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    In paper, about 6 months to a year at the long end. We get ours in paper.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.