Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My homemade digital temperature controller!

Options
124»

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'll be a guinea pig, er, Beta Tester!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Super exciting that you all are interested in participating!  I'll make a note of shoulders to tap on in the coming months when some hardware is available.  If it's convenient, shoot me an email too so you don't get missed:  ereinhart36@gmail.com

Thanks again!
    Eric
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    +1 on being a guinea pig.  Sent email.  
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• reinhart36
    Options
    12 direct volunteers on the list so far.  Thanks!

By the way, for beta testers, this is what I'm thinking:
    1. Hardware at cost, or nearly so
    2. 2 years of software updates so everyone benefits from all feedback / improvements
    3. 6 month return for refund for any reason (unless you smash it or something)
    4. 2 year return for refund, replacement, repair of anything that should fail.
    5. Some customization on a case by case basis

I suspect I'll have these ready to go in August, and part costs are looking like the ~235-250 range is likely.  I'm investigating, and will likely include a wireless option for those who are interested.

I'll be looking forward to fine tuning this, sending it out to all of you brave testers, and working to make it a fun and useful product for those who are interested.

Thanks again for all the interest!

Take care,

Eric Reinhart, PE

Michigan, USA

ereinhart36@gmail.com

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Email sent.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Well done!  Wish I had one!!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Add me to the list of interested parties and potential testers
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Cookinbob - You're added!  Many thanks for your interest.

If you get a spare minute - shoot me an email ping to ereinhart36@gmail.com, or ereinhar@umich.edu.  That will ensure I reach you with group emailed updates, etc.

Kind regards,
    Eric
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    That is pretty cool, great work!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• eddiemm3
    eddiemm3 Posts: 10
    Options

12 direct volunteers on the list so far.  Thanks!

By the way, for beta testers, this is what I'm thinking:
    1. Hardware at cost, or nearly so
    2. 2 years of software updates so everyone benefits from all feedback / improvements
    3. 6 month return for refund for any reason (unless you smash it or something)
    4. 2 year return for refund, replacement, repair of anything that should fail.
    5. Some customization on a case by case basis

I suspect I'll have these ready to go in August, and part costs are looking like the ~235-250 range is likely.  I'm investigating, and will likely include a wireless option for those who are interested.

I'll be looking forward to fine tuning this, sending it out to all of you brave testers, and working to make it a fun and useful product for those who are interested.

Thanks again for all the interest!

Take care,

Eric Reinhart, PE

Michigan, USA

ereinhart36@gmail.com

I too, would like to be added :)

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    ME TOO!!!!!! 

Will send you an email
    Mamaroneck
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    Options
    Can I get a student discount rate? Haha Product looks great!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Nice job!  My question is this...How open or closed is your lower vent?  I typically prefer to leave the top open as much as possible and adjust temp using the bottom vent.  This is the reverse.  Is there any advantage tor disadvantage to choking the fire at the outlet vent instead of the inlet vent?  

Any thoughts on rigging up something comparable for the lower vent? 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Very cool.  It is going to be difficult to patent since you already disclosed your invention to this forum 
  • reinhart36
    Options

jhl192 said:
    Nice job!  My question is this...How open or closed is your lower vent?  I typically prefer to leave the top open as much as possible and adjust temp using the bottom vent.  This is the reverse.  Is there any advantage tor disadvantage to choking the fire at the outlet vent instead of the inlet vent?  

Any thoughts on rigging up something comparable for the lower vent? 
    Thanks for the question!

The lower vent is generally just left wide open.  When it's windy, I close the inlet vent halfway, as it seems to reduce wind induced disturbance.

In a system like a grill, where the air is at ambient pressure everywhere, the charcoal just knows how much air is moving through.

Neither the charcoal nor the air know/care whether the flow rate was set by a restriction at the inlet vs. the outlet.  In other words, all that matters is [Mass flow rate in] = [mass flow rate out] (neglecting combustion gasses).

I've heard people mention such things as "dirty fires" in drum types of smokers if they close the outlet damper instead of the inlet.  There must be some dynamic that exists in one of those systems that isn't present with the highly insulated ceramic grills.  Perhaps it's some kind of transient behavior or something.  Just speculating without experience.

Eric
  • reinhart36
    Options
    I realized recently, that I don't have an email address for all of the volunteers on my list, thus I'm placing a status update for beta prototype development here.  Those of you who received this via email will find no significant changes here.

Update:

As promised, I'm checking in with a progress update for the beta prototype grill controller we discussed previously.

*Damper Mechanical Hardware*
    Aluminum hardware for the physical damper has been purchased and is on-hand.  I need to polish the parts still, and created the brake bend for the daisy wheel arm.

I've identified a source for the servos needed for this project, and will order them shortly as well.

*Temperature Sensing*
    Since a type-k thermocouple is way overkill for food temperature sensing, the food channels will be thermistor probes, as is ubiquitous in commercial digital food thermometers.

A source for the probes has been identified, and enough for one probe per controller has been purchased and is on-hand.  However, I'm going to get another lot of them as many people have expressed interest in using two food channels simultaneously.

*Controller Electronics*
    The 16X2 LCD with green backlight has been prototyped, and the software to drive it and new menus have been programmed (mostly).  Displays have been purchased and are on-hand.

I have found a potentially better wireless transceiver (compatible with your home wireless network) than the one I'd used in the alpha prototypes, and am presently designing a breakout board for testing.  Two units are on-hand for development.  More to follow on this.  As mentioned previously, this will be an option for those interested.

*Controller Enclosure*
    I may have identified a properly sized candidate enclosure which will accommodate appropriate batteries, for those who wish to use batteries.  The enclosures will need to be customized by way of CNC milling, to allow for the display, buttons, and connectors needed.  Samples have been purchased and will be used for machining evaluations shortly.

*General Outlook*
    In general, I still think August'ish is a reasonable time frame to have beta prototypes ready for anyone still interested at that time.  As progress is made, I'll continue to deliver intermittent status updates.

Please let me know of any questions, comments or requests at any time.  This project continues to entertain me greatly, and I'm appreciative of all of your interest and participation.

As always, I have no expectation that everyone will still be interested in this controller when they're finally available, so please feel no concern if your interest fades in the interim.

Kind regards,
    Eric Reinhart
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I'll buy one.

I like my DigiQ but this is cool. You need to start a naming contest for it.

I wonder if you could simply drop the thermometer clip through the center of the top piece somehow so it does not need to go on the grate but could just dangle? That seems like it would be easier if it could work. I also wonder what the highest temp it could regulate is, e.g. 600 for pizzas?
  • flyn_sow
    flyn_sow Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey eric, I will be ready for X-19 Egg Modulator, or whatever name wins out, when they are ready for testing or sell whichever side of the lottery I am on.
    Can you add me to the e-mail, it started as cmthomas, just let me know if you need me to send again. Thanks, Mike
  • reinhart36
    Options

The may status update for those whose email addresses I don't yet have:

Hi All,

Work is continuing on the Beta prototypes, and I'm checking in with a progress update.  All of my energy is focused on the WiFi development presently, as you will surmise from the itemized status reports below.

No change since May update

*Temperature Sensing*
    No change since May update

*Controller Electronics*
    I have designed and fabricated a breakout board for the candidate WiFi transceiver, for those of you who want wireless monitoring and such.  The breakout board was soldered up, and is now plugged into my breadboard with a microcontroller for software development.  The TCP/IP software stack is new to me, thus I think the next couple 2-3 weeks will be spent exclusively on learning to implement that.

Here is a video of the WiFi breakout board being fabricated on a 3 axis CNC machine: https://vimeo.com/97055734

*Controller Enclosure*
    success!  I found a great enclosure, that is high quality and made in the USA.  I have two versions with battery compartments: one will hold a single 9V, and the second will hold 2 9V batteries for double life.  Since the wireless functionality is going to result in a larger PCB footprint, controllers with wireless will only have one battery.  I don't know how long exactly that will last yet, but it will be very adequate for sure.  The 2-battery enclosure should have a very long life given the extremely small power requirements for this control scheme.

Anyway, if many people are not interested in wireless, I'll design a board for two versions - each with their respective perks (wireless-->one battery; no wireless-->two batteries).

I found somebody to help with the silkscreen that will go over the top for graphics, labels, logo (when a name is decided upon), etc, which is great!

*General Outlook*
    I'm still hopeful to have some controllers ready in the mid-late August time frame.  The only unknown is this WiFi software development, which is a little new to me.  I'll have a better projection in a couple of weeks once I really get into it.

Please let me know of any questions, comments or requests at any time.

Thanks again for everyone's interest and participation (potentially).

Kind regards,
    Eric D. Reinhart
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Wireless is not a big factor for me. Double battery sounds pretty good. Weather resistant would be a bonus.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    Suggestion, being in aircraft maintenance for the last 30 years, I have seen my share of corroded aluminum. How about making the upper vent out of stainless steel?
    That looks pretty amazing and I love the portability of it.
    2 jacks for food temp probes in addition to the grill temp probe would be perfect.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Eric, you obviously have a winner here.  Great job on the new Daisy Digi-Wheel!  Count me in on the growing numbers of wishful beta testers.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Fantastic controller you have developed.

I am also impressed with your presentation, your voice reminds me of HAL in 2001.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• reinhart36
    Options

Hi All,

My apologies for the lack of communication for the last couple of months.  A project I'd been assigned to at work required me to put in 60-70 hours/wk for several months, and I was having trouble staying afloat at the end.  However, that business is completed now, and I can return my attention to this this fun project!

All that said, I did find some limited time to work on this project recently, and have made progress.

Updates follow:

***********************************************************************************
    ********************** November Update ********************************************

***********************************************************************************

I've assembled a handful of dampers, and have attached a picture(s).  More importantly, this controller has a name now and I've engraved it onto the damper hardware (also shown in attached pictures).

The long awaited name ...  SmoBot!  :-)

*Temperature Sensing*
    No change since July

*Controller Electronics*

WiFi work has been completed for the moment.  Sparing you the long details, I abandoned the MRF24 module path and ultimately went with the RN-171.  Datasheet for that module:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70005171A.pdf

I've successfully transmitted data from the SmoBot to both my PC and my Android phone.  I haven't had a chance to develop any custom front end software for this yet.  To get everyone started, we can just use free terminal programs to make connections and monitor data initially.  Once everyone has controllers in-hand, I'll turn my/our attention to the development of friendlier front end software interfaces.

The SmoBot will preliminarily be setup to create an adhoc WiFi network without any security.  A person can join it from their PC or phone as they would any other WiFi device.  Then, make a data pipe with TeraTerm (PC) or a free Telnet app on the phone to start receiving data.

Having verified fit/function of the RN-171, I can now proceed with redesigning the PCB and create routing and drilling programs with which to build it.  This design work generally doesn't take me more that a couple of days, so I suspect I'll be milling a new test PCB by next weekend.  Perhaps by the following weekend I'll have populated a couple of boards and reflow soldered them.

*Controller Enclosure*

No change since July update.  Once the new PCB is built, I'll generate the CNC programs for milling the enclosure modifications and fabricate a couple for test fitting the PCB and connectors, etc.

I've been pondering some ways of increasing water resistance, and will experiment with these first sample units.

*General Outlook*

I am now very "gun shy" when it comes to forecasting completion dates, as I find that life is quite unpredictable lately.  However, with my professional life greatly eased, I will now resume focused work on this project in the forthcoming weeks.

I’ll be in touch soon with another update!

Please feel free to email me with any questions or suggestions in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Eric

• Bbquru
    Bbquru Posts: 22
    Options
    Eric - Late to the party here, but I'm intrigued with the concept. Any spots left on your test list? Also, have you thought about any other crowd funding? This idea seems like it may have more than a few novel applications.
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Way cool project. Kickstart worthy for sure, I'd contribute. Great job.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • nissan97240
    Options
    Eric
    I would also like to be added to the list of there are any spots left.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I would sign up as well. Seems like I am always a day late, so I would not be surprised if it happened again with this.

Or maybe when/if there is a V2 I could help out there?

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Yeah.... this is pretty bada$$