Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter's Prime Rib Cook (Pic Heavy)

Options
This is my first prime rib on the Big Green Egg. I started off with an 8lb 3 bone standing rib roast. I cut back the ribs, but left the attached. I applied a thin layer of kosher salt and let it refrigerated overnight. I mixed up some of Ted Reader's garlic paste and rubbed it all over, folded the ribs back and tied it up. I cooked at 250F and it took roughly 3 hours to get to 130F internal temp. I rested for about 20 minuted before slicing. This was unreal. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    What is there to say..Absolutely Awesome...I have to do this..Well done Sir..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    What is there to say..Absolutely Awesome...I have to do this..Well done Sir..
    It was great! And I mist say, fairly easy to do. You should definitely try it!!  Ted Reader's garlic paste was unbelievable. I could almost eat it on a sandwich...
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Looks delicious, nice med rare throughout!  Good looking Prime Rib, I may try that folding the ribs back next time I do one, Nice pics!
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Looks delicious. You don't mention doing a reverse sear, but the meat looks like it has one.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Looks delicious. You don't mention doing a reverse sear, but the meat looks like it has one.
    I did zero searing. It seemed like the low & slow cook made it's own crust. It didn't need it!
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I managed to scrounge up just enough leftover prime rib to make a quesadilla!!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Wow!! Awesome photos, sir! Outstanding cook!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks good Craig.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Very nice bro! That's sweetness!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

What a beautfully done hunk of cow, outstanding BGC. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Hey Craig, Awesome cook! I worked at a place called the Raleigh House in Michigan, it was a high end catering operation that a lot of prime rib on a daily basis, yours looks better than most from there.                                                                                                                                                                      
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks fantastic! I'll bet the vegetables were great too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Ktim said:
    Hey Craig, Awesome cook! I worked at a place called the Raleigh House in Michigan, it was a high end catering operation that a lot of prime rib on a daily basis, yours looks better than most from there.                                                                                                                                                                      
    Wow, what an awesome compliment! Thank you! 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    As usual, great job!  Have not tried a prime rib on the Egg yet, but this definetly makes me want to now.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I scrounged up enough leftover prime rib for a quesadilla for a snack!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Outstanding sir!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Thanks for sharing.

What is the theory behind cutting back the ribs and re-tying them?  The last time I bought a Prime Rib I got it boneless. It came out great but all the purists said I should always buy it with the bone.  But, confused if you cut them back anyway...then re-tie them?

Anyway, looks great.  I have only done slow cooked pork and brisket on a grill, haven't thought that a regular old roast doesn't have to take 15 hours to cook because you take it off at a lower temperature.  I'll try this.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Pretty much how mine went also my cook was at 300 indirect, just a good bit of salt and pepper though.  I'm curious of the veggies and herbs underneath do you think they bring anything to the table, I've not tried doing that.  I also pulled at 130 with no searing seems like a good crust can be gotten without a sear.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

What is the theory behind cutting back the ribs and re-tying them?  The last time I bought a Prime Rib I got it boneless. It came out great but all the purists said I should always buy it with the bone.  But, confused if you cut them back anyway...then re-tie them?

Anyway, looks great.  I have only done slow cooked pork and brisket on a grill, haven't thought that a regular old roast doesn't have to take 15 hours to cook because you take it off at a lower temperature.  I'll try this.
    As far as cutting back the ribs... it allows for adding rub/seasoning to that part of the meat. To me tying them back is more a matter of preference. Although OP used a roasting rack, some like the bones intact to serve as a "natural" roasting rack.

Many will say that removing the bones completely is the way to go but, again, I think that's a matter of personal preference.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    KiterTodd said:

If I had the option, I would have bought a boneless roast. There are so many articles about bones/no-bones. I trimmed the ribs back just to get my rub down in there. Next time, I will probably just cut them off and smoke them separately. But everything was delicious!
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options

It's 9:00 AM and now I'm starving. That looks awesome! I will have to try this now. Thanks!

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks perfect Craig.  Those are some nice thick "king cut" slices!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Good evening Craig Did you use a plate setter and did you apply paste with kosher salt the night before? Thanks for the help I want to cook this this weekend for my family.
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options

Why do people post that it's pic heavy? Is it pic heavy to get everyone to look or to warn the people that still have dial up? Sorry, just an honest question.

Also, the prime rib looks awesome!

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Just carryover from when folks used to be on dialup I guess. Not really necessary this day age though. What is that paste again? Looks good. What temp did you roast at?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    edited April 2014
    Options
    OK. I tried looking it up - musta missed it.

How do you make Ted Reader's garlic paste?

I'm always looking for a different seasoning to apply to the outside of my next Prime Rib.
    South SLO County
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    OK. I tried looking it up - musta missed it.

How do you make Ted Reader's garlic paste?

I'm always looking for a different seasoning to apply to the outside of my next Prime Rib.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJGyDa481Q
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    Used this method for the mothers day prime rib!  Man it was awesome.  I wound up doing 250 indirect for about 4 hours.  The garlic paste on spot on.  Thanks to all for the advice on this one...definitely made the high end of things that have come off the egg!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Used this method for the mothers day prime rib!  Man it was awesome.  I wound up doing 250 indirect for about 4 hours.  The garlic paste on spot on.  Thanks to all for the advice on this one...definitely made the high end of things that have come off the egg!

That garlic paste smells amazing after it's blended. I could have used a spoon...