Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Visiting San Antonio TX

Options
I'm going to visit my granddaughter at Laughlin Air Force Base. I am staying in the San Antonio area. I will be there a week and I'm looking for great BBQ ribs.
Any recommendations? Thank you for your help, Richard 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Ribs, not brisket...right?  How far are you willing to drive?

My favorite in town spot is called The Smoke Shack...good ribs.  They have a trailer off of Nacogdoches and 410 and just opened a B&M across from the Witte Museum.  

The best BBQ you'll ever have in your life is a lil over an hour away in Austin.  Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing compares in San Antonio.  @Mickey would tell ya to look for Mexican food in San Antonio.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Umm, Laughlin is 150 miles from SA! Did you mean Lackland AFB?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited April 2014
    Options

If driving to Austin is out of the question, some other places in San Antonio include The Granary (lunch only), The County Line (if you are particluarly looking for beef ribs), Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse (located next to the zoo), Rudy's (it's a chain at this point but they consistently put out good solid meat, especially if you like the point of a brisket which is listed on their menu as "lean brisket"), and Two Brothers (their chicken is particularly good). 

None of these places is going to match Franklin's in Austin, but they are pretty solid.

@cazzy is right about the Mexican food.  The only Mexican food in town that I don't love is served on the Riverwalk - so get it anywhere else and you'll be in good shape.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:

If driving to Austin is out of the question, some other places in San Antonio include The Granary (lunch only), The County Line (if you are particluarly looking for beef ribs), Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse (located next to the zoo), Rudy's (it's a chain at this point but they consistently put our good solid meat, especially if you like the point of a brisket which is listed on their menu as "lean brisket"), and Two Brothers (their chicken is particularly good). 

None of these places is going to match Franklin's in Austin, but they are pretty solid.

@cazzy is right about the Mexican food.  The only Mexican food in town that I don't love is served on the Riverwalk - so get it anywhere else and you'll be in good shape.

OMG...I hate Two Brothers. Horrible Q and a huge let down for being on the Top 50.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I haven't been there for a while (over a year... maybe two) but when I was there, I thought the chicken was the best I've had.  The rest was nothing special.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the other stuff based on their reputation.... so @selmarichard, if in doubt, go with cazzy's recommendation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I haven't been there for a while (over a year... maybe two) but when I was there, I thought the chicken was the best I've had.  The rest was nothing special.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the other stuff based on their reputation.... so @selmarichard, if in doubt, go with cazzy's recommendation.

If I ever go back...I'll try their chicken. Their cherry glazed rib wasn't horrible either.

You know I'm a brisket man and it was a huge disappointment. The pickles are the best thing there...and they're free. Lol
  • cazzy
    Options
    They probably were better early on when they had something to prove. Consistency appears to be their problem. I wrote a yelp review for them...that's how disappointed I was.
  • biggus22
    biggus22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Rudy's BBQ - There is one in Selma on I-35 on the way to Austin and another one out on I-10 on the NW side of town.  It's pretty legit, and attached to a gas station in both cases.

If you're feeling touristy you can do County Line on the Riverwalk but Rudy's is the real deal.  @cazzy is spot on about Austin - Doesn't get much better than Franklin's and a couple of other spots up there, but Rudy's is def. good.

• selmaswede
    Options
    Yes your right, it is Lackland.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Good thing I'm not going by myself.
  • selmaswede
    Options
    No, going to Austin is not out of the question, especially if it's really good BBQ.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOL, I didn't even know there WAS a Laughland! Spent some time at Lackland though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Options
    cazzy said:
    They probably were better early on when they had something to prove. Consistency appears to be their problem. I wrote a yelp review for them...that's how disappointed I was.

Yeah, I suspect that Jason Dady was more involved early on...

Have any of you been to Two Step? It apparently got some awards in the local newspaper popularity vote, but I wasn't impressed the one time I went there.  It was "fine" and good enough to stop by when you are near, but I don't see myself making a special trip for it.

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    No, going to Austin is not out of the question, especially if it's really good BBQ.
    It's that good.  It will be the best BBQ you've had in your life.  How much time will you have on your hands and when is your free time.  Hopefully it's in the AM.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Wait huh?  Are you @selmaswede or @selmarichard ?   :P

Where are you from?
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    Beef ribs at Cooper's in New Braunfels are great.
    XL Owner
  • selmaswede
    Options
    Just to be clear, we are from Selma CA. Never been to Texas. Didn't even know there was a Selma in Texas.   So.....what is the name of the place in Austin? 
  • selmaswede
    Options
    Sorry, I'm Richard's wife.  I can type faster than him so I'm just trying to help him out.  Should have gotten on his computer.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I think the point of the brisket at Rudy's is called MOIST, and the flat is called LEAN.  At least that's how it is at other places, and we do get the moist at Rudy's and it appears to be the point.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • cazzy
    Options

Sorry, I'm Richard's wife.  I can type faster than him so I'm just trying to help him out.  Should have gotten on his computer.

Oh...that makes more sense. Lol
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options

Just to be clear, we are from Selma CA. Never been to Texas. Didn't even know there was a Selma in Texas.   So.....what is the name of the place in Austin? 

The best is Franklin Barbecue, but you're looking at a 3 hour wait Tuesday through Thursday. If you have the time...it's a must do and is totally worth it. If you don't have that type of time, hit up La Barbecue. It's about a 30 minute wait during the week.
  • Foghorn
    Options

I think the point of the brisket at Rudy's is called MOIST, and the flat is called LEAN.  At least that's how it is at other places, and we do get the moist at Rudy's and it appears to be the point.

You are correct. My mistake.

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I heard someone saying a while back to order "super moist" from Rudy's. I don't go there often though so I don't have any personal experience.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In San Antonio you should think Tex-Mex. just did Calf from LA Thur the North State Coast line. Tex-Mex is different than what you have.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I spent a year in San Antonio from 2002-2003. Best year of my life. Rudy's BBQ has gone downhill from what I've heard but I'm sure it's still pretty decent. If you end up near Randolph in Universal City, there is a dumpy little breakfast taco place called Taco Sensations right outside the gate, off of Pat Booker Rd. They have about 50 different burrito combinations, each around $1.50. Well...in 2003 they were.

Doubtful you make it up there, but rest assured you will eat well. San Antonio is Tex Mex heaven!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Cazzy steered me to a great Mexican restaurant about a mile from downtown..  I can't remember the name though.  The locals ate there and it was cheap.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• cazzy
    Options
    QDude said:
    Cazzy steered me to a great Mexican restaurant about a mile from downtown..  I can't remember the name though.  The locals ate there and it was cheap.
    Taco Taco brother!  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2014
    Options
    San Antonio Eats:::: Rosarios on St Mary's http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio, http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php Mi Tierra's. The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals. It's called Pico de Gallo's. Same great food as Mi Tierras. , Alamo Cafe, Taco Taco, Jacala's on West Ave , La Fonda on Main, Breakfast - Magnolia Pancake Haus.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Mickey said:
    San Antonio Eats:::: Rosarios on St Mary's http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio, http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php Mi Tierra's. The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals. It's called Pico de Gallo's. Same great food as Mi Tierras. , Alamo Cafe, Taco Taco, Jacala's on West Ave , La Fonda on Main, Breakfast - Magnolia
    Well I see you listed all the tourist places.
    For some good BBQ try Bun-N-Barrel on Austin Highway, Rudy’s in Leon Springs (the Original) and the Smoke Shack.
    For Tex-Mex La Fogata’s ,
    Trendier La Tuna, New Liberty Bar.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Texansurf said:
    Mickey said:
    San Antonio Eats:::: Rosarios on St Mary's http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio, http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php Mi Tierra's. The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals. It's called Pico de Gallo's. Same great food as Mi Tierras. , Alamo Cafe, Taco Taco, Jacala's on West Ave , La Fonda on Main, Breakfast - Magnolia
    Well I see you listed all the tourist places.
    For some good BBQ try Bun-N-Barrel on Austin Highway, Rudy’s in Leon Springs (the Original) and the Smoke Shack.
    For Tex-Mex La Fogata’s ,
    Trendier La Tuna, New Liberty Bar.

Agree with all the selections. "The Bun" was our date night eatery inthe 60's.
    I wish Karam's was still open;superb Tex Mex ! Also try the "Mexican Manhattan" for Tex Mex the locals eat (Downtown). If memory serves, I believe the Karam family, or part of it, bought the "Mex-Man" when the original Karams closed.
    For steak, try Bill Tassos "The Barn Door", off N. New Braunfels St.

While you're there, be sure to go to the Old Pearl Brewery on Broadway, and try to go on a weekend. Neat place, with a pretty good farmers market.

If you're there now, you are right smack dab in the middle of Fiesta!!! Go to NIOSA (Night in Old San Antonio), and drink beer, drink beer, crack a cascaron on somebody's head (filled with confetti). Stick around Friday for the Battle of Flowers Parade, and then Saturday night for the Fiesta Flambeau parade.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    my two cents while living there: bohannans still my favorite steak place biga on the bank great place cappy's was one of our favorites alamo cafe has the best tortillas q? i still love rudy's