Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Grilling Surface For An XL

Options
I can't seem to find a CI for my XL, or really any other than a standard SS. I'm sure the websites are out there, I just can't seem to find them. Any help is much appreciated! Any suggestions on a specific replacement are welcome too.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Craycort has one:

It's not cheap!  

Another thought is if you get an XL Woo from ceramic grill store then you can use a CI grid from a large or medium egg I believe.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have bought a couple of stainless grates from Michael's Custom Grill works and they are really nice.  Before I bought a cast iron grate for an XL I would look real hard at the stainless one he has that is made out of 3/8" stock.  The 3/8" grates are not cheap, but they sear as well as cast iron and will be more durable and easier to maintain.

The Naked Whiz reviewed them here. (Scroll to the bottom for the 3/8" review.)

Michael's Site.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Enders
    Enders Posts: 29
    Options

As an XL owner that uses both the BGE CI grids and the standard XL grid provided with the grill.  I wish I could go back and buy the Craycort CI above.  What I bought from BGE is 2 1/2 moon CI grids.  I do like that one side is flat and the other pointed so you can adjust based on what you're cooking.  The reason I'd prefer the Craycourt is that although I usually use the CI grids for searing, sometimes I use them with the platsetter.  Example- If I'm smoking a meatloaf, I like to be able to place the loaf directly on the grids.  Problem is trying to stabilize the 1/2 moons on three points of the platesetter legs.

Lastly, I strongly believe nothing beats CI for searing.  The amount of heat the CI holds leaves searmarks you just can't beat.

My $.02

XL BGE, Medium Project Egg

Indianapolis

• Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    +3 on Craycort, excelent build, love being able to take 1/4 of the grate off to feed some woodchips to the fire.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I should have never asked…Now I have to buy both a CI and SS, LOL! Thanks for the input!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    We are always happy to help others spend their money...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    We are always happy to help others spend their money...
    Yep, just paying it forward.  Or is it paying it back? :D

I'm gonna save up and get one of the 3/8" stock SS grates.  I'm tired of the cast iron cracking,  breaking and having to re-season after high temp cooks to keep them from rusting.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I have tried various options and settled on the adjustable rig which is great. 

I have a Craycort CI for my Weber. It is a quality bit of gear, weighs as much as the Weber. Would be a good match for the XL.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    The adjustable rig seems awesome, I just cant bring myself to spend the money right now, especially if I'm gonna drop $200 on a SS grate alone. We will see. Thanks again for all of the advice, much appreciated.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Enders said:
      Example- If I'm smoking a meatloaf, I like to be able to place the loaf directly on the grids.  Problem is trying to stabilize the 1/2 moons on three points of the platesetter legs.

Lastly, I strongly believe nothing beats CI for searing.  The amount of heat the CI holds leaves searmarks you just can't beat.

My $.02

I had the same experience with the BGE CI 1/2 grates on my XL.  However if you put the CI grates on top of the SS grate resting on the platesetter legs, no problem.  I use this for meatloaf and it works great.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Anyone have the grill grates cooking trays
    Beaufort, SC
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Anyone have the grill grates cooking trays
    Yes have had GrillGrates for a couple of years and they work wonderfully.  Eliminates the grease dripping into the fire with the tracks catching the grease and searing it.