Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My SBGE Weekend Adventure - 2nd Edition

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Gathered up all the kids, dog, and went to my in-laws for the weekend!  It was a pretty fun weekend of family time and egging.  I had a pretty full menu for the weekend, and I was slightly concerned how I would pull it off with my small.

The majority of the pics were just to capture the cook.  I didn't have time to get creative as my plate was pretty damn full...my apologies.

Friday - Dinner 
Tri-tip and Roasted Red Pepper Coulis w/ mashed potatoes and green bean casserole 
Homebrew rub, Oak for smoke

I typically sear first, then roast my tri-tips.  I went with reverse sear on this one and I guess I need more practice.  Not my usual edge to edge red.

I will say, the tri-tip was very tender and everyone loved it!  It was gone immediately and the coulis paired great with the meat.

The busiest day was Saturday for sure, it was also a challenge and had to use the gasser.  Everything did get time on the egg though, just had to use it to get timing down.  Which I nailed!

Saturday - Lunch
Split Chicken Breasts (15) w/ Garden salad and herb butter noodles
Mickey's Coffee Rub, Oak for smoke

Seared the chicken skin side down for about 4-5 minutes
Then, rotated them to the gaser to grill, bone side down.  After all the chicken was seared, I put in my woo and all the chicken got about 10 minutes on the egg to get some more smoke.
Chicken was pretty damn juicy!

Saturday - Dinner
Choice New York Strips (15) w/ Baked Potato and Corn Casserole 
Salt and Pepper finished with garlic butter slices
Requested temps: Medium rare to medium and one murdered...no pink.  lol

Kyle took a break from playing to come hang out and talk with his pops for a bit.  Then, he did his "we're having steak" dance!  :)
Outside of using a cast-iron grid for searing, the steak cook was approached the same way the chicken was done.  
imageimage
Nah, it wasn't good at all!    :^oimage

I will give ya a cen-tex line here.  I broke my foot on this steak cook fellas!  All steaks were cooked to perfection and were seasoned perfectly.  Several of the boys were moaning as they ate!  My 4 year old nephew sealed it off and said "Uncle Carl, I loved your steak, it was awesome".

Sunday - Lunch
Pulled pork w/ Baked potatoes, corn casserole and baked beans
Homebrew rub, Oak for smoke

I put the Boston butt on at 2am @ 250.  The small held all night...was kinda proud of the lil guy when I checked on him at 7am.
Butt pulled at 12:30pm.  It tasted awesome...incredibly tender as expected.

Before we dug into the butt, I was able to capture this cool moment of the kids with their Grandalf!  B-)

Afternoon snack before I took off
Asian Meat Candy
Salt and Pepper, Oak for smoke

Beef chuck ribs
I threw them on the egg @250 indirect to get some smoke.
I then gave a quick sear on each side.  I deglazed the dutch oven with white wine, then sliced and braised them in wine, teriyaki and ginger.  
These were good, but not great.  They were a tad too sweet and very rich.  The tenderness was perfect and they were nice and gooey.  I should have topped them with some sesame seed so the pic could look better.  lol

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Very nice, looks like you had a blast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ^:)^

There are no other words...well, I do want to try the Asian Meat Candy...

I am starving now.  Thanks!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Hell of a post!  Steaks with the butter on top is my fav - but it all looks great.  That small egg deserves some R & R  after that weekend  . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow! You were a busy dude this weekend. Great looking eats and pics, especially the one of the kids with their gramps. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow man...you and the small put in some work!  It all looks great and of course the pics are not bad either ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Why did the kid call you "Uncle Carl" instead of @cazzy ?
    NOLA
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Great looking food, excellent photos with a nice story.  What is this (see red circle)?

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    chashans said:
    Great looking food, excellent photos with a nice story.  What is this (see red circle)?

Weber makes a great grill light that can be used on the egg.  Helps a lot during night cooks.

• cazzy
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Why did the kid call you "Uncle Carl" instead of @cazzy ?
    Hmm...that would be cool, but then I wouldn't be able to smile when one of the lil ones calls me Cawal.   :)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice post!! Frame that one with grandpa! ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Unbelievable @cazzy ! If there were any doubts of what the small can handle look no further. Well done sir, well done.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Well done, sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Nice post!! Frame that one with grandpa! ;)
    Yeah man, that's the plan for sure!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks good. Hope you enjoyed your last time egging on your own egg at your in-laws. I can fully understand why they're pulling the trigger on buying one to have at their place!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great Post and even better looking food.  As per usual, you are the man!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• cazzy
    Options
    Looks good. Hope you enjoyed your last time egging on your own egg at your in-laws. I can fully understand why they're pulling the trigger on buying one to have at their place!
    I've been buzzing in their ears for about a year to stop wasting money on gas grills or cheap charcoal ones.  They were done when I asked them how many grills have you bought the last 10-15 years.  LOL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    And here I thought you were just slacking off. Clearly you now need a vacation from your vacation. Looks like a good time. Excellent shots of some (I'm sure) good eats! Nicely done cazzy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    And here I thought you were just slacking off. Clearly you now need a vacation from your vacation. Looks like a good time. Excellent shots of some (I'm sure) good eats! Nicely done cazzy.
    I did take a lil break from egging.  Sometimes it's easier to just make something inside or drive to Austin.  We're buying a house right now, so that's kept us pretty busy.  Thank goodness we picked out the new one pretty quick.  House shopping is for the birds.
  • CantonDawg
    Options
    That is one heck of an effort.  Well done Sir.
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Wow! Awesome photo's and cooks look great.  Now that's how to do a weekend.  Good luck with the house.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    WOW - what a weekend, great work, although I bet it didn't feel like work. Family time and good eats, doesn't get any better. 
    So, you are moving from Eagle Ledge - where you going Eagle Peak?  :-j
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Grillin_G_Ma
    Options
    Wow!  I won a small BGE at the Melbourne EggFest and you have shown me exactly what I can do with it.  I would have underestimated the little guy!
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Damn, you were busy this weekend!! Epicness!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Good stuff man
    Beaufort, SC
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Awesome! I am kinda new here but I always love your posts.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Ktim said:
    Thanks!  I guess they're okay when i'm not stirring up trouble.   :P
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Where's you new house?  There are a couple for sale in my neighborhood - I'm hoping you are buying one of them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Ktim said:
    Thanks!  I guess they're okay when i'm not stirring up trouble.   :P
    And that's not very often.  :-\"

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    WOW - what a weekend, great work, although I bet it didn't feel like work. Family time and good eats, doesn't get any better. 
    So, you are moving from Eagle Ledge - where you going Eagle Peak?  :-j
    Good memory Skiddy!   :P

I'm looking to have a more peaceful mindset!   My new street name is Tranquil View   :)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Where's you new house?  There are a couple for sale in my neighborhood - I'm hoping you are buying one of them.
    LOL  Thanks Foghorn!    Moving to Cibolo.