Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg addict - first question

Options
Hi all, have been reading this forum for quite some time and learning tons.  Have done only 4 or 5 racks of ribs, 2 spatchcocks, and a few batches of ABTs so far.  All have been great, but these were all done at around 275-300.  Tried my first butt last weekend and totally screwed it up. I am pretty sure it was because I pulled it early and didn't have the temps locked in.  I'm still having difficulty keeping it steady.  The failure in question went like so - I loaded it up with fresh BGE lump, lit it with 2 of the firestarter blocks and let it go about 30 minutes until the smoke was clear and about half the coals were glowing red, temp was about 230 at this point.  Put on some apple chunks, platesetter in, butt on the grid at felt level.  The temp kept climbing to 275 at the grid no matter what I did. I had the bottom vent nearly shut and it still wouldn't come down below that.  I went and met some friends for beer and fireball, then came back about 8 hours later and it was over 300 at the grid. Drunk and frustrated, I just shut it down.  So, long story short, why the hell can't I get the temp down to 225 even with it nearly suffocated?  As the fire continues to spread throughout the lump is it just getting hotter and hotter until all lump is burning at a consistent rate? In other words, do I need to have the whole firebox burning before trying to stabilize the temp? Seems counterintuitive to the whole fuel efficient egg idea.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    When you say the bottom was nearly shut how much was it open? I'm assuming the dfmt was nearly closed as well?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You used two full starter cubes?  That's overkill, although I can't see where it's the cause of your problem.

Have you tested the seal of your gasket?  (dollar bill test)

Also 30 minutes is the low end for establishing a low temp.  The ceramics aren't fully heated yet, so when they come to temp, the ambient temp in the egg will continue to rise.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Questions for your answer?
    > DFMT barely open (1/8"? How much)?
    >Bottom vent barely open (how much)?
    >Is lid tight (dollar test passed)?
    It is much easier to control temp on the way up VS trying to bring it down. Once the egg ceramics are hot it is difficult and time consuming to bring down. Also I recommend when using wood for smoke putting it in from the gitgo. Lastly you'll likely find at first it easier to maintain 250℉. As you get more accustomed to your egg and its quirks 225℉ won't be a problem either but, starting out 250℉ dome is fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agree with the above. 1 cube cut into 1/4s is plenty to start a fire. I think you left the dome open too long. For low n slow I close the dome and put PS in once the flame from the starter cubes is gone and have a few embers glowing, not many at all,leave vents open all the way and monitor temps on the way up and start dampening the air down about 50* before target temp. Once the blue smoke has cleared and egg has stabilized for at least 30-45mins then put the meat on. BTW - 300* will not hurt the butt. I cook mine 350 straight thru. Try searching "turbo butts" if you have ant interest in this.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    +1 with @Mattman3969 (would have hit the "agree" tag but the computer is precluding such actions??) regarding the startup process and the turbo option that is out there. Regarding the BGE, it is an air-flow driven machine assuming you have sufficient fuel. Managing the air-flow is what sets the temperature and the amount of lump that is burning at any one time. Thus the ability to easily run for 20+ hours on one load of lump (LBGE). As mentioned, the key is to catch the temp on the way up. Once that mass of ceramic gets hot it takes quite a long time to coll down. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If the egg is hotter than you want, then it is still getting more air than it needs.  Even if you think it is too closed, it can't be, if the temperature is climbing.

The amount of fuel has no bearing on how hot it gets, unless you are at extremes (not enough fuel, or a lot of fresh fuel and running at high heat).

Just keep shutting it a little more each time you adjust it if it is too hot.  I did a very small ham for myself yesterday, and I adjusted downward from just under to 300 degrees.  It took an hour to reach 250

And if you wanted, you could have simply cooked it at 275, 300, 325 either way.  You can't ruin a butt at 300, and certainly not 275
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    The platesetter should go in after you start the fire and let it get hot together with the whole egg. When you put the Butt in it will drop slightly, but don't move anything it will pick up after the firs hour.

If frustrated try to get a BBQ Guru or similar to get a constant temp.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Hi all, have been reading this forum for quite some time and learning tons.  Have done only 4 or 5 racks of ribs, 2 spatchcocks, and a few batches of ABTs so far.  All have been great, but these were all done at around 275-300.  Tried my first butt last weekend and totally screwed it up. I am pretty sure it was because I pulled it early and didn't have the temps locked in.  I'm still having difficulty keeping it steady.  The failure in question went like so - I loaded it up with fresh BGE lump, lit it with 2 of the firestarter blocks and let it go about 30 minutes until the smoke was clear and about half the coals were glowing red, temp was about 230 at this point.  Put on some apple chunks, platesetter in, butt on the grid at felt level.  The temp kept climbing to 275 at the grid no matter what I did. I had the bottom vent nearly shut and it still wouldn't come down below that.  I went and met some friends for beer and fireball, then came back about 8 hours later and it was over 300 at the grid. Drunk and frustrated, I just shut it down.  So, long story short, why the hell can't I get the temp down to 225 even with it nearly suffocated?  As the fire continues to spread throughout the lump is it just getting hotter and hotter until all lump is burning at a consistent rate? In other words, do I need to have the whole firebox burning before trying to stabilize the temp? Seems counterintuitive to the whole fuel efficient egg idea.

Welcome. Many of us had to learn the in and outs of temp control over a few cooks. You will get it down in a short time. I would caution you on leaving it for 8 hours, especially if you are still in the learning period. A few bad times have been experienced by fellow eggheads in less time that that.

Good luck on your journey and don't be frustrated. If I can do it anybody can.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • ehummelman
    Options
    Thanks all. Sounds like I let it get too hot to begin with and did not have the time/patience/sobriety to get under control. It's still fun, and I don't mind mistakes along the way. Like I said, most of what I've done so far has been great.  I'll keep practicing, I'll get it.