Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg on BBQ Pitmasters tonight!

Options

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
     Same guy side-by-side cooking the same grade brisket on an offset and an egg.......egg loses every time.

I am not so sure about this.   The Egg is simply small in comparison, and can be problematic to transport. That being said, we compete and win against the big stick burners all the time.   The advantage we have is we can cook in individual cookers and not have to compromise a cook just because it is being shared by a couple different cooks.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Why do BBQ do as it do?
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ no doubt. I had an offset smoker for like 20 yrs. Each tool (grill, smoker etc) has a specific purpose. But, the BGE IMHO is more versatile and I use it damn near 3x per week + weekends. And to be able to get consistent results makes it the grill that it is. True the operator has to know some but, the BGE is a hellva lot more forgiving than my ole stick burning offset ever was and I turned out some good Q off of it.
    I

We are saying the same thing (sorta). Versatile is great .....until you want to win the money. Then versatility goes out the window and specificity wins. Same guy side-by-side cooking the same grade brisket on an offset and an egg.......egg loses every time. You can filet a fish with a chef's knife but a filet knife is better.
    Same guy that knows how to use both cookers. :)

This place makes me tired sometimes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options
     Same guy side-by-side cooking the same grade brisket on an offset and an egg.......egg loses every time.

I am not so sure about this.   The Egg is simply small in comparison, and can be problematic to transport. That being said, we compete and win against the big stick burners all the time.   The advantage we have is we can cook in individual cookers and not have to compromise a cook just because it is being shared by a couple different cooks.
    Couldn't agree more.  Pissed off an entire competition winning first in ribs with my WSM.  It was epic.  At least a dozen stick burners, several teams were hatin'.  The WSM is the most decorated mass produced cooker in BBQ competition history, destroying all makes and models of stick burners...even jambos.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Focker said:

Couldn't agree more.  Pissed off an entire competition winning first in ribs with my WSM.  It was epic.  At least a dozen stick burners, several teams were hatin'.  The WSM is the most decorated mass produced cooker in BBQ competition history, destroying all makes and models of stick burners...even jambos.  

Well shoot...forget getting a stick burner...I need a WSM. :P

BBQ preference is subjective and that remains true with competition. There are too many variables that come into play. Meat Quality, flavor profile and technique to start. I think you beat them and not your WSM. Just because you have a Jambo doesn't mean you know how to run a clean fire, understand how to season properly and have a technique that works well with your set up.

The cook is what matters most...everything just helps the cause after that. What the hell do I know though. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks for the kind words cazz.  But having a WSM or egg dedicated to each category is a plus.  Limiting yourself to one vessel would be problematic.  Hypothetically, if I were to jump into the comp arena, my team would have a Stoker, 3 22" WSMs, and a 22" kettle for chicken.  Spares and brisket are much easier for the larger 22" over the 18.5".  XL would be the only size suitable in eggs.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jaime_Doug
    Options
    Meatchurch, Congrats on your appearance on the show. Enjoyed it. Ya'll did a good job! New fans in Atl
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Appreciate it. It was a blast.

Meatchurch,

Congrats on your appearance on the show. Enjoyed it. Ya'll did a good job!

New fans in Atl

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Meatchurch, Congrats on your appearance on the show. Enjoyed it. Ya'll did a good job! New fans in Atl
    MeatChurch needs to make an appearance at EGGtoberfest in ATL!! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @MeatChurch‌...is this a one time deal or will you have a series? That would be a cool series. Congrats on this achievement!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

@MeatChurch‌...is this a one time deal or will you have a series? That would be a cool series. Congrats on this achievement!

He was on Pitmasters, so it won't be a series unless he has a seperate deal in place.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Gotcha @cazzy. I have DVR set to record this episode for tomorrow/Tuesday.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Are you any relation to Todd Pittman?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Congrats!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Its great you changed your avatar to the one with Moe C.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    No sir.

dlk7 said:
    Are you any relation to Todd Pittman?

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options

Regarding stick burners:

Can anyone recommend a good quality stick burner in a price range not to exceed $2,500.00?

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @nolan8v...should be able to get a fairly decent offset built for that with no problem. I've got a guy in Jax, FL that'll customize LP tank offset with pretty much anything you want for that price. If you would like his info PM me. As far as shipping that's a whole different story. But, I've seen his work and it is very professional IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited April 2014
    Options
    nolan8v said:

Regarding stick burners:

Can anyone recommend a good quality stick burner in a price range not to exceed $2,500.00?

Depends where you are located, if you want to drive and pick up or pay for shipping.

I would like to get one from these guys. http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/ . I have seen some real nice pits on the bbq brethren site. Good price for what you get and the quality looks top notch.

I do like Langs and Yoder. 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Saw you guys on the news this morning here in Dallas. Brisket looked awesome.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2014
    Options
    This forum is getting expensive.

(edit) Kick ass Cook @meatchurch!  Very cool. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited April 2014
    Options
    nolan8v said:

Regarding stick burners:

Lyfe Tyme makes some really nice heavy-duty pits.  Probably looking at around $1,000 to $1,500 unless you're looking for something portable (towable).  I've cooked on some and they are HEAVY gauge steel and do a great job for the $$.    http://www.lyfetyme.com/

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Good One makes a few models below that, depending how big you want to go. A Marshal is up to $2000, they have models in the price range of the large and XL. Their Open Range model is at $1000 to $1200. I almost bought one, but l am glad I bought the egg instead. The Good One smokers don't need a lot of baby sitting and you can set and leave it like the egg. Can't do that with my WMS.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:

Focker said:

Well shoot...forget getting a stick burner...I need a WSM. :P

BBQ preference is subjective and that remains true with competition. There are too many variables that come into play. Meat Quality, flavor profile and technique to start. I think you beat them and not your WSM. Just because you have a Jambo doesn't mean you know how to run a clean fire, understand how to season properly and have a technique that works well with your set up.

The cook is what matters most...everything just helps the cause after that. What the hell do I know though. ;)

My neighbor used my 22 WMS and cooked a brisket better then I have before. He had a great bark with taste of salt. Now I have try one on the egg to see how it does. My WSM is the community smoker in the neighborhood. I need to do a side by side with the BGE and WMS to see if one it better then the other.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    Yes sir on our website www.meatchurch.com. Thanks!

@MeatChurch‌ do you have tshirts for sale"

• Rebelst8
    Rebelst8 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey Meat Church, Saw the episode, I never miss it. Glad to see a fellow egger on. That sucked about getting stuck in the stall, congrats anyway, was a great show. 

Any chance you wanna share your rub?? :-)
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    MeatChurch; I noticed you guys had a little flash back. Did anyone burned?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    nolan8v said:

Regarding stick burners:

I have a 36" Lang in addition to my XL Egg. Each has it's own purpose but for stick burners I recommend the Langs. They're made in Georgia.

http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/