Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egghead from WI

Hi everyone,
I'm a new BGE owner checking in from Appleton, WI which is not too far from Green bay.  I spent the last year waffling about the purchase because we were thinking about moving since the last thing you want to have to move is something that's large, heavy, fragile, AND expensive.  We've decided to stay where we're at, so I'm now the proud owner of an egg + table.  I would've liked to make my own, but given a limited amount of time I'd much rather spend it learning to cook than honing my mediocre carpentry skills.

Anyway, I've used it twice so far.  The first cook was spare ribs that roughly followed the recipe from amazingribs.com.  I set my expectations pretty low considering that it was my first time using a new piece of equipment, but they turned out spectactular.  I let the egg get a little too hot right out of the gate so it took me some time to cool it down and get it stabilized, but once it got where I wanted it (250ish) it mostly stayed there with very minor adjustments.  Overall I was very satisified with the experience and the result.  Did some chickn thighs on the spur of the moment as well and they were another win.

I'm planning my first pork shoulder for some time this week.  All I was able to get at the store was a picnic shoulder which was a little disappointing.  I'll have to check someplace else to get a butt next time, but if nothing else it'll give me a baseline for comparison.  Thanks everyone for all of the info that you've posted here.  I've been lurking the last few weeks and found it all extremely helpful.
LBGE
Menasha, WI

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @jerryb78‌
    Welcome aboard sir. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Myself I really like a good picnic ham but I do understand everyone has different taste. Again welcome aboard as this is a great place to get a lot of good advice on the egg .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Most eggcellent start.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Welcome

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I wouldn't be to disappointed in the picnic either. Some say its more moist than the shoulder. Welcome and enjoy
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Welcome.  I have found the butt a bit easier to hit a home run with.  Good luck and enjoy.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Welcome to the herd. Post those PICS!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I imagine that the picnic will be completely fine.  ("This piece of perfectly cooked pork shoulder disappoints me because it's from the wrong cut!" said no one ever)

I've just been finding a lot more information on cooking butts out there so that's what I was hoping to start with.  I have to imagine that the butt is a hugely popular cut for a reason.  I figure that I'll try and color inside the lines as much as I can until I figure out what I'm doing. :)
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Welcome! I'm only a few miles from you, in Neenah. Did you get your egg from BBQ Spits and Pits? Just a FYI, I get my pork butt from Copps here in Neenah. Sometimes I have to go to the meat counter and ask because they have it in the back. Enjoy the community here, you'll learn a lot!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Welcome and hang on. And +1 on nothing wrong with picnic shoulder. The thing I like about Boston butt is no skin so you can get rub all over it. No way I'll take the time to skin a picnic shoulder, so not as much bark.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Welcome. I am in Point.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Welcome. Sounds like you've got both feet wet in the ocean. Enjoy the egging journey. Keep the posts coming. Ribs looking good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Welcome fellow cheesehead I am from the Sun Prairie area.
  • Welcome aboard - ribs looks good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Hello @jerryb78!  I'm just up the road in Green Bay! 
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    @stoogie I got mine from Kitz & Pfeil on Calumet.  The person I worked with there seemed to really know his stuff, which is something that you just don't seem to see a lot in retail these days.  I knew that I was at the right place when I asked about the Egg and the cashier told me that she would page "the grill guy."  I grabbed my pork from woodman's because that's where I do the bulk of our shopping and had a bit of a jam-packed schedule last weekend.  I'll probably hit up Copp's or one of the specialty meat places next time.  (Jacob's or Haen)  I figure I won't be too picky for my first couple cooks.  I'd hate to drive all over town and spend extra money only to screw it up with a rookie mistake.

I've got the picnic on the egg now.  I hadn't thought about the skin when I bought it, but I decided to take it off before applying the rub last night.  I used a sharp flexible boning knife and a towel to grab the edge of it and it came off pretty easily.  I tossed it in the fridge with hopes of looking up some delicious way to prepare it when I had a little more time today.

Thanks for the greetings everyone!
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26

Hi Jerry, Im in Fond du Lac. 

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Hey brother,welcome, enjoy this whole experience. It is great! Stock up on Budweiser!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Welcome. You are so going to enjoy the ride...I am...Also a great bunch of folks on this Forum..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Hey Welcome!!

Im from Oshkosh and I purchased my Egg from the same store as you. I wanted to buy it at BBQ Spits and Pits, but they didn't have any in stock. I knew they were moving and it felt kind of weird in the store, later they announce they were selling the store. I did feel a little bit guilty but both are smaller local stores so either way it was a good thing.

Anyway, as far as meat, I haven't had any luck with anything from my area as far as pork goes. In all honesty, the best place that I have found to get my shoulders and ribs (Baby Backs) is at Sam's. Their shoulders come two to a pack and the ribs have three racks in a pack and usually at good prices too. Ive been burned by local grocery stores when they've had sales on both shoulders and ribs. My local butcher has good shoulders, but I was thinking I was getting cuts from local pigs only to find out they're ordered and not local. I didn't mind paying the higher price, but like I said I thought it was local. Im not sure how Jacobs is but I've heard great things about them.