Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb Temp Question

Options
Hello Fellow Eggers Guys and Gals - 

I've had my egg for a little while and enjoyed some great cooks on it - Turkey, Chicken, Ribs, Pulled Pork and sausages. 

However my question is this: I had a three tier rack and the temp gauge was 275 on the middle rack (dome temp was 350). The top end with sausage was over done and the wings on bottom were a touch under done. Should I have placed the temp probe on top? 

Also...

I am going to do either a couple Butt roasts or brisket this weekend - where is the best place to set the temp probe? On the outside at least 2" away from meat? more toward the middle 2" away from meat?

Please help me on this - I know it is a basic question but I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Just so your probe is not touching the meat and is over the platesetter (or whatever other device your using for indirect) I think you'll be okay. Any difference in temp you might get between a middle or edge placement will not matter at all for either of those cooks.

FWIW, I would probably not even bother with a grid probe, just work with your dome thermo.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Okay - that is really my question. When it is 225 low and slow - it's dome temp? I would check temp at grill level and dome always ran hotter. 

Also I just purchased a BBQ Guru - they seem to set that at grill level in instructions. So I then set that at a lower temp?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Generally, on a long cook like a brisket or butt the dome and grid temps will come together.

I don't have a pit controller so I can't answer you on that one.

There's really no right or wrong answer when it comes to cook temps/methodology for either of the cooks you've mentioned. Some guys will do turbo, some will do low & slow. Some will wrap, some wont. Some will add liquid to their drip pans, others won't. And so on...

I generally do those types of cooks looking to lock in my dome temp around 250*.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thank you for the information - it really does help. Also just saw your post on the meat loaf. Wow that is something I must try!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You're welcome and thanks!

No doubt others will chime in at some point and you'll get all of the differing opinions.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up doing.
    Options
    I'm with Texan in that I typically shoot for a 250 dome temp.  If you place a probe on the grate you will notice a temp difference anywhere from 25-50 degree difference from the dome temp.  Don't worry, they will eventually come together. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I've found out that after a couple of hours into the cook you'll see the temp even out with the dome being about 25 degrees hotter than the grid no worries.  My butts almost always cook at 225 grid.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I would think using a 3 tiered rack the reduction of air movement would effect the cook. Ie bottom gets more radiant, middle will get some convection and top is mostly convection. Maybe I'm wrong on this but, would seem logical. I use a raised grid and obviously the stuff below gets most of the radiant heat and top benefits from both radiant and convection. This is why many recommend getting the pizza stone up in the dome for this benefit. Like I said I could be wrong in my reasoning. I just know how mine cooks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    On my party q I clip my bbq temp probe to the back of the dome thermo. Fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos