Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not quite a complete seal in back

Options
The Carrot
The Carrot Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been scanning the gasket-related posts and thought that I'd throw this one out: (I've searched through the archives, but don't remember seeing a resolution to this - aside from using a braided gasket, which isn't recommended at this point.) I have one of the older locking hinges that has never really let the felt gasket seal in the back (paper slips out easily ). I have tried the loosening and tightening routine, but the gap always reappears when retightening.[p]It's never been a huge problem (at least for the cooking that I've done up to this point), but it does make temps lower than 250 pretty much impossible. I'd thinking that I'd now like to try some of the lower temperatures, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The Carrot,
    Why would you want to go lower than 250º? Butts and shoulders are fine at that temp and you'll be able to control the dome temp more easily. Really, anything under 250º is a little hard for most to control. Some folks advocate lo 'n' slo at 275º. As for the seal, I'm sure someone with more expertise than I have will jump in. Good luck it'ss work fine.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    The Carrot, going below 250 dome is sometimes real hard to control even with a perfect seal. You could try to replace the hinge with a springloaded type. For the most part if your not losing heat out the seal you should be fine

• Essex County
    Options
    The Carrot,
    Maybe an additional layer of felt gasket around the back would give you the seal. I'm not the voice of experience here but it seems that a little more padding in the right place would do it.[p]Paul

• trackman
    Options
    Carrot:

I was having a similar problem with my XL egg a while back. I fried my gasket and in the process of replacing it took a hard long look at how the bands worked when the dome closed. What I ended up doing (I'm sure it's not recommended but hey it works) was readjust the small metal strip that is used between the hinge and the lower dome band. I'm not sure if all eggs are setup this way. In my instructions I was told to attach the small metal strip with the lip side down before attaching to the lower metal band. I decided to flip this over resulting in the lower band resting down further on the lower dome. This worked like a charm and I have done a handful of low cooks at 200-225.
  • Beer-n-Eggs
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Personally, I do baby backs on mine at 200 so that's one application for under 250.[p]Buster