Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
I have always been a BGE charcoal purist. I ran across some of this Frontier lump coal at SAM's Club for $9/bag. For that price, how could I not try it! 

There were lots of HUGE pieces at the top of the bag, but no so much at the bottom. The bottom was full of gravel sized pieces. It seemed to do fine with low temps. but started sparking during hot temps (5ooF). 

The jury is still out on the question if I will buy more. Have any of you tried this coal? And if so, what was your experience?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I've never used it but, for what it's worth, here's a link to the Naked Whiz charcoal review site.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I have not, my BGE dealer is only 2 miles from the house so i'm not one of those who but 10+bags at a time and stock up. There are several conversations on here about lump so get ready. My second choice Royal Oak (red bag) My wife hates it but for quick cooks like steak, chicken & burgers I think its fine. I always find smaller pieces in the bottom of the bags, i guess they just work themselves to the bottom.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Vetteman
    Vetteman Posts: 19
    Options
    I had the same experience. Very large on top and very small on bottom. I little slower to light than Royal oak but taste was good and neutral. I probably prefer the royal oak but this bag didn't disappoint.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I had the same experience with the Frontier.  Very large pieces and quite a bit of small gravel size and smaller.  Bags probably get tossed around too much.  I also notice a distinct flavor when using that charcoal vs. Royal Oak or BGE (supposedly the same).  

I will stick with Royal Oak for price and consistency. 
    Long Island, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have tried it and it burns fine but I found it sparked way too much during lighting (I use a MAP/P torch).  

FWIW the common belief is that BGE lump is Royal Oak.  You can get Royal Oak in the red bags much cheaper than BGE brand. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    +1 on sparks during lighting and with higher temps. It didn't have any problems achieving high temps and it had low smoke with the VOCs clearing fairly quick. The large pieces vs gravel or dust has a lot to do with how it's handled. And let's face it the folks at Sams are likely tossing this stuff like they do with their Kingsford charcoal or a sack of potatoes. Vs handling with TLC. But, the continuous sparking is what stood out to me and for $9 per 20# it ain't bad. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The absolute worst lump ive ever used.  Sparked horribly, left my food tasting like soot, etc..  Will never....ever buy again.  I honestly wouldn't use it again even if someone gave it to me. Other than that, I like it.  I will stick with Royal Oak.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have never tried it. I have only tried BGE lump and Rockwood. I like Rockwood a lot better. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @KingtUT‌...tell us how ya really feel. :-D
    I've had bags of RO and BGE that were excellent and some that wey
    re fair (only because folks handling were possibly playing hacky sack or rugby with it and the pieces we're like gravel size). To me RO has a decent amount of smoke to begin with. But, the Frontier lump I had wasn't to smokey but, the crackling and popping was way to much. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of Frontier. But, for 20# at $9 it is still better than Cowboy (which out of 6 20# bags 5 of them had plastic, rubber, rocks and metal). Everyone will occasionally find a small rock or small piece of metal (won't hurt the food) but, should never ever find plastic &/or rubber. Stick with your old faithful that's what I've done :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌...stick with what you like best. I've grown tired of being a lump guinea pig. Unless I can find Rockwood, OO, FOGO I'll stick to what I can get locally which is WGWW and I've been very pleased with it. It has had consistently larger pieces, low VOC's, and I've just been overall happy with its performance. Wish I could get it for $9. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have used both Cowboy and Frontier.  Cowboy is at the bottom of my list and Frontier is right above that.  Too much at risk for a few bucks.  So far Royal Oak is the only cheap lump that I have had decent results with.  Even so,  it takes a bit longer to burn clear.  I will pass on the Frontier.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    For the record that piece is not HUGE, slightly above small imo. I've had pieces as big as my forearm.